Anti Dive - essential ???

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Eibar
Main scooter: Eibar TS1 1966

scooter definately brakes safer with anti dive. non anti dive bottoms out severly and can go into a skid in the wet. Its safer to ride with anti dive - if you want plush front suspension then ride something else. Motorbike braking power on world war 2 suspension design,you do the maths
potato
coaster

I have to agree with Jaimie, the problem with the scootRs type brakes is that they will make the suspension dive far more than a standard or even a good inboard brake will. If your suspension is bottomed out because you are braking and you then hit some bumps as you turn into a bend then the wheel is likely to bounce and possible loose traction. This is possibly less likely on a relatively smooth race circuit but very likely on our pothole riddled public roads :roll:

Progressive sprigs will help but shouldn't be too stiff for the same reasons as mentioned above,. it's all about keeping the rubber in contact with the tarmac. Lotus used to have a philosophy of soft springs coupled to very hard dampers 8-)
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Agree with last 2 posts. I have reverse pull drum up front and it overpowers the suspension so much that I'm nervous every time I use it. It dives and locks at the slightest provocation. And it's nothing to do with those stories about reverse pull drums; it's just too powerful for the suspension.

Anti dive would solve it but I can't face doing that to a standard looking bike so I'm going back to standard brakes and looking well ahead.
Trackten
Main scooter: Vespa PX

Thanks for the replies so far guys - all very interesting and very useful
Nerdy Norm
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 150 S3

I've got a ScootRS anti-dive setup on my S3. I love it, and would fit one tomorrow on my S2 if they were still available :(
Lambretta LI125 Series 2, Lambretta LI150 Series 3, Lambretta J100 Cento, LML Star 150 2T
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I've been exclusively using outboard discs for about the last 15 years, apart from one ride on a GP225 that I bought that had an inboard disc and I couldn't remove it quick enough. About 8 or 9 years ago I had a brief spell at racing, Jason Frost built the scooter and fitted anti dive outboard disc to it. I couldn't believe how much better it was than the normal outboards that I'd been using, no way could I have gone into corners and braked as hard as I was doing without the anti dive. I've been sold on it ever since and wouldn't go back to none anti dive. Without anti dive you'll find yourself stiffening up the front to offset the dive but with stiffer springs and uprated shockers the whole front end seems skittish and you feel every bump in the road.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information