GT200, What exhaust

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Donnie wrote:I stand by my experience of the tsr i had and it was shite, shite to fit and it hangs low which on a GT kit is an issue if you hit a speed bump and if you are lucky only pulls the exhaust studs rather than crack the cylinder exhaust port off the cylinder. Rather than fran race then, go for the fran supertourer. But I'd never have a tsr again.
Was thinking about one of these but after reading this I'll cross it off my list. Apparently Rayspeed are restocking the NK range mid to late May.
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

I find it ineresting that this question is asked over and over again yet I never seem to see any mention of the GT set up guide, which provides good solid advice on setting the GT kit to your needs.
Although it does seem like there is a market for a super clubman that will work with Avanti/GT and other 200cc plus kits.
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

I've been using a JL3 on my GT240 but now have a Fran race to fit, which Rich_T recommended. I'm interested to see the difference.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
kejj

Thanks for all the reply's. I understand that it is a difficult question since there's rarely one person that tried all back to back.
The GT200 manual is great, so is the service and advice from Rich.
I put the question here to receive real life experiences and I think that I've achieved that goal.

I will probably run the bgm clubman for this season. Only started to think of expansions in order to up the power output. Not that I need it really, I'm quite satisfied with the performance.
My only concern with my setup is that when I'm pottering around in town or close by at low revs the MPG becomes really bad. Out in the open and in the rev range the MPG improves dramatically. and that the bgm clubman is a LOUD pipe.

And yes, I have the first version of the GT200 kit, matched the transfers, polished the exhaust port. Using the original GT cranks which where Indian webs with stuffers and jap 110 rod at 58 stroke. read all here https://tv175.wordpress.com/category/granturismo/
eden
Dealer

If and when you do upgrade to an expansion, use a fran race.
People often say they don't pull so well at low revs but I have never found this. The fran race does give a slight "flat" area at around 5300-5600 rpm on the GT200 but with 4.8 final drive this means its noticeable at around 54mph. Around town under that speed they pull as well as anything else and if your on the motorway you will be ridding above that speed.

Ive built GT200's with allsorts of exhaust for many different people with different riding styles and preferences.
The BGM V3 works well but you don't get the 2 stroke fun of a "kick" as it gives no noticeable power band, some people like the way this exhaust smooth's the power out though.
One guy I built a GT200 for used a fran race for nearly 3 years (18000 + miles) and was happy with it, late last year he changed to a TSR because the fran race broke, all he noticed from the change was a distinct lack of top end power and a lack of ground clearance when 2 up .

Just out of interest I did put a BGM V3 on my own GT250 conversion just for a back to back dyno comparison to the fran race, the result was a 9 BHP drop in power, the max power point was only 800 rpm lower than with the fran race and the gain under 5000 rpm was only 2 BHP. Obviously my 250 isn't tuned for a box pipe but even so, the comparison was interesting.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

Lambretta Sash wrote:
Donnie wrote:I stand by my experience of the tsr i had and it was shite, shite to fit and it hangs low which on a GT kit is an issue if you hit a speed bump and if you are lucky only pulls the exhaust studs rather than crack the cylinder exhaust port off the cylinder. Rather than fran race then, go for the fran supertourer. But I'd never have a tsr again.
A little bit of thought and modification can sort grounding out, as GT kits and Mugellos cylinders have similar issue. Mines been on 2 yrs with no issues. I have seen one tail can fall apart on another i fitted but that was down to a 20 yr old knackered indian rear shock!!
Oh? I wonder what else I would have had to do then to sort the grounding out then?

And I don't know what similar issues the mugellos and gt kits have when it comes to fitting exhausts, Ive certainly not heard that before??
Donnie.
stew
Main scooter: Series 1 and series 2

Anyone tried one of the early Ron Moss clubmans on a GT200?
Loud pipes save lives!!
Lambretta Sash
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta TV 230

Donnie wrote:
Lambretta Sash wrote:
A little bit of thought and modification can sort grounding out, as GT kits and Mugellos cylinders have similar issue. Mines been on 2 yrs with no issues. I have seen one tail can fall apart on another i fitted but that was down to a 20 yr old knackered indian rear shock!!
Oh? I wonder what else I would have had to do then to sort the grounding out then?

And I don't know what similar issues the mugellos and gt kits have when it comes to fitting exhausts, Ive certainly not heard that before??
First of all look at stubs supplied with Tsr and that may give you a clue, as for mugellos 225 has 25 mm approx from cyl port to flange and a rapido 225 has 10mm.
Lambretta Sash
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta TV 230

stew wrote:Anyone tried one of the early Ron Moss clubmans on a GT200?
yes ran fine but lacked the punch i wanted from kit, hit similar top speeds just that the pipe got there alot quicker :D
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

Lambretta Sash wrote:
Donnie wrote:
Lambretta Sash wrote: A little bit of thought and modification can sort grounding out, as GT kits and Mugellos cylinders have similar issue. Mines been on 2 yrs with no issues. I have seen one tail can fall apart on another i fitted but that was down to a 20 yr old knackered indian rear shock!!

First of all look at stubs supplied with Tsr and that may give you a clue, as for mugellos 225 has 25 mm approx from cyl port to flange and a rapido 225 has 10mm.
Hard to do if I don't have one to hand though, maybe you could tell me the issue?

also, yes i know about the mugello issue re the exhaust port on some of them, but you were comparing to the gt kit and now you are talking about the rapido? your answer hasn't actually answered anything?
Donnie.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information