Clutch slip

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
225worb
Main scooter: Vespa 225, Falc , 230 S2

im running a readspeed 5 plate clutch in my ts230 and seem to be suffering slight clutch slip when hitting the power band, would it be worth using a centre spring or maybe go for some stronger clutch springs??
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

I use one of these in my imola. I swapped the supplied springs for MB ones from day one. It makes 20bhp and doesn't slip or drag. I only swapped them out because I've never had issues with MB springs. The ones supplied may of been perfectly ok it was just personal preference. If yours is splipping though it may be worth giving the MB ones a try.
gaz_powell

Steer clear of the centre spring.

Plenty of capable clutch arrangements out there to not require a centre spring.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

agree with the center spring, avoid if you can, you need gorilla hands to pull the clutch in with a center spring, i would check you have a little bit of free play on the lever, also double check that your top plate isnt catching on kickstart, look for witness marks, you may have already checked these 2 things, also once the clutch slips it will wear the plates down and make it slip easier, depending on how much you have used it the plates might need replacing, mb springs might be worth a go, lots swear by them.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Also consider that a slipping front sprocket will mimic the effect of a slipping clutch. I have encountered this a couple of times.

A Surflex 5 plate with MB Springs copes well with my TS1. I treat the springs as a service item and change them every year.
225worb

Thanks for your feed back...
Ive had mixed feedback from a couple of friends regarding 5 plate clutches !! But I think ill try the MB springs , I did use a centre spring set up on my old taffspeed ts200 years ago and worked really well and wasnt to stiff to operate either ...
Ive not had the chain case off yet so not sure if the top plate is touching the kickstart mech...
i dont have any freeplay on the clutch lever and i have adjusted as much as could but this caused difficult gear selection ...
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

Interesting comment re the slipping front sprocket. This happen on my RB250 last year. The front sprocket was made of cheese and wore almost flat after 50 miles causing it to slip. It's worth checking that too.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

if you dont have any free play the top plate will be getting pushed all the time, thus reducing the clamping force of the springs, check the fitment of the rear clutch arm on the side case, check quadrant and brass plunger for wear, maybe a yamaha clutch lever will allow some free play without having selection issues, as they pull a little farther than a lammy lever does.
225worb

Right ok,
Ive ordered some malossi uprated springs just in case the ones fitted arent man enough, ill check the other components too, im pretty sure that the chain case in the none GP type judging by the casting !!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information