Searching for an original look 12v dc conversion.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
fluff34567

Hi again!

I saw an old member J1ms did something in this area but has not logged in since 2012.

Does anyone have a link for someone that can supply a 12v with battery charging system that looks like the original 6v system?

Regulator/rectifier on the rear frame leg and round coil under the hoop?
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

Most of what you want can be done but it's the round coil bit I see as the sticking point. Generally you either stick with points and your round coil but modify the old 6v lighting coils to output 12v you can just about fit a Wassel type regulator inside the original regulator box. I have done several with the small BGM regulator in both 6 and 12v but these are AC with a trickle charge for a battery if required. The Wassel full DC regulator is a bit bulky but most of it is the fins and the 2 bolt down points. One of the bolt downs could be lopped off then it should go in the stripped out original. Wired internally to the original terminals you connect the loom as normal so it all looks pucker. I know Casa looked at producing a Electronic CDI hidden in an original coil but I don't think it went into production
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I think I saw an article in Scootering about a round cdi unit made to look like the original coil ? could be the one Monty is thinking about but might be worth a trawl through some old scootering mags.............
firekdp

Going down this route myself as I built one, years back, from scratch using a NOS Ducati baseplate and rewound some old bobbins. I'm trying to source an original zener heatsink or find some similar extrusion to make one from.
ImageIMG_20160701_142451295 by Kevin Pettitt, on Flickr
You could simply get another stator and take the main lighting coils off of it and put them in parallel with your existing ones. Be aware though that early stators used a thinner gauge wire than later due to the flywheel magnet differences.
Don't know if J1ms builds them for sale but he is still over on the LCGB site as Captain Pugwash, I believe, so someone on here could maybe contact him for you.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Beedspeed had stock of the heat sink and zener diode a few years back so it may be worth trying them. Early Indian 12v points 200s ran a similar system too so it might be worth trying AF for old stock items.

Happy hunting and good luck.

Adam
fluff34567

Cheers for all the replies, I sent a message to Anthony Thambs on Facebook slso to see if Urs something he could do.. waiting for a response.

Thinking out loud 12vac and dc trickle regulator rectifier in the original housing and if a 6v transformer could be used to power the original coil.

I am sure I stumbled across a 12v original style coil ages ago but remember it it was silly money.
firekdp

Adam_Winstone wrote:Beedspeed had stock of the heat sink and zener diode a few years back so it may be worth trying them. Early Indian 12v points 200s ran a similar system too so it might be worth trying AF for old stock items.

Happy hunting and good luck.

Adam
Thanks, but I've not seen any of the original type being sold by dealers, most are the Triumph/BSA ones.
And the Indian 12v DC models never used the heatsink as the zener was fitted into the air scoop under the seat.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

^... but the system was very similar and AF had already been fitting these systems in keeping with the older UK 60s 12v conversion so would have had stock at one time.

As for the Indian system, I even have a black plastic scoop that has the support area for the heat sink and hole through the plastic, which really goes to show that the producer really didn't understand the point of it being an aluminium heat sink function (LOL)!

Both dealers, and many others, would have had stock of parts at one time and it is just a case of finding out who might still have parts.

Best of luck finding what you're after.

Adam
firekdp

Adam_Winstone wrote:As for the Indian system, I even have a black plastic scoop that has the support area for the heat sink and hole through the plastic, which really goes to show that the producer really didn't understand the point of it being an aluminium heat sink function (LOL)!
Adam
:D Once SIL started making the scoop with the hole, it was fitted to every machine whether it was 12v or not. So when they produced a plastic one they probably simply took a mould of the type they had.
The type I'm after is in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4886&start=20
fluff34567

Would someone here be able to contact pugwash on LCGB for me?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information