Fitting New Chain......Help!

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
eadmr04

Just bought a new Iwis chain for my wife's GP and am trying to fit it but it's really tight and I can't get the rear sprocket central to fit the clutch spider. It's only 1 or 2mm out but just enough to stop me being able to fit it. Any suggestions or tips would be really helpful. Thanks in advance.
coaster

It would be a good idea to tell us what sprockets you have and how many links in the chain. Did you build the motor originally or was it built by someone else? The reason I ask is that with none standard sprocket combinations it is sometimes necessary to use a worn chain
eadmr04

Sorry, all standard GP200 gearbox with 18/47 sprockets. I stripped it down as I had some kickstart issues but everything else was all ok before. When I stripped it I decided to renew clutch, springs, bearings etc and noticed the chain was quite loose even though the slipper was fully adjusted so went for a new chain. The chain I've bought is 82 pitch so should be ok?
gio695
Main scooter: Lambretta Li125 Series3

Have you checked that the chain you received is actually an 82 pitch and they didnt send you an 81?
Otherwise it should fit.
eadmr04

gio695 wrote:Have you checked that the chain you received is actually an 82 pitch and they didnt send you an 81?
Otherwise it should fit.
What does the pitch refer to and how can I check?
fluff34567

The number of links , get counting. Use a marker and mark your starting link
eadmr04

Just counted and definitely 82?
st0kky
Main scooter: lambretta S1 RB261

Try lifting the front sprocket a tad, usually just gives the bit you need to get on at the rear
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

Have you tried fitting the chain and sprockets all at once? If you keep it all parallel it should go on.
eadmr04

Doh!! That'll teach me to presume. After wresting for 2 to 3 hours with 3 different rear sprockets, chains etc I had the bright idea of counting the front sprocket which I thought was 18 but low and behold it was a 19! Problem now solved and 18 tooth fitted, everything fits like a glove now. Thanks for the replies and sorry for wasting anyone's time, hopefully someone else might learn from this :D :oops:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information