Which oil to run in?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

Evening all! Just sent my cylinder off to Aptec for ceramic re-plate and will get back Thursday. Then there will be the inevitable running in period - am I right in thinking that it is recommended to run a TS1 generally on Synthetic - but for running in to use mineral (or was it semi synthetic)? I'm sure I have heard/read this somewhere but not 100%. Also, what would people recommend for number of miles to run in a ceramic replace and new piston?

Many thanks, as always!

Scott
Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox 😎👍
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

I to have a cylinder that's been replated at Aptec, I've been running Silkolene Scoot 2, semi without any problems but my stash is fast being used up I've read plenty on the Exol products and to be fair seem more trouble than it's worth, so now I'm looking at Rockoil Groundsman and have been reading up on the spec, it is JASO FC which is a higher spec than some of the Silkolene products although it is only API TD (the D being down as an obsolete spec) as opposed to the more normal TC but none the less a decent oil with plenty of followers in the scootering world.

I think the general feeling is you just don't need a top of the range fully synthetic.

I've been told to run mine in for 300 miles on semi at 25-1 or 4%.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I didn't think you had to "run-in" ceramic and nickasil barrels ? It's the rings you have to run in, usually 50 - 100 miles.

I used Exol fully synthetic @ 2% for 5 years and haven't had any issues. My Nickasil barrel (Avanti) was re-plated about 5000 miles ago and the cylinder has done 15000+
alanscottj

Scooterdude wrote:I to have a cylinder that's been replated at Aptec, I've been running Silkolene Scoot 2, semi without any problems but my stash is fast being used up I've read plenty on the Exol products and to be fair seem more trouble than it's worth, so now I'm looking at Rockoil Groundsman and have been reading up on the spec, it is JASO FC which is a higher spec than some of the Silkolene products although it is only API TD (the D being down as an obsolete spec) as opposed to the more normal TC but none the less a decent oil with plenty of followers in the scootering world.

I think the general feeling is you just don't need a top of the range fully synthetic.

I've been told to run mine in for 300 miles on semi at 25-1 or 4%.
Thanks Scooterdude - I have been using SIP Race formula but my last cylinder didn't last long before it was worn to point of needing redoing. So this time, going with new oil and trying a filter (i live near beach so thinking that might have influenced wear). Was reading that one people recommend using mineral for the run in period then switch to fully synthetic.
alanscottj

mick1 wrote:I didn't think you had to "run-in" ceramic and nickasil barrels ? It's the rings you have to run in, usually 50 - 100 miles.

I used Exol fully synthetic @ 2% for 5 years and haven't had any issues. My Nickasil barrel (Avanti) was re-plated about 5000 miles ago and the cylinder has done 15000+
Hi Mick1, like this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEXT-DAY-DELI ... SwiDFYQwPI
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Yeah that's the one. I got a 20l drum as it works out cheaper the more you buy. There's also a discount if you buy on line using a code from this site (I think it's oo1 ?).

It's been suggested that the Exol carbons up the head/barrel, but I haven't found that to be the case. It may be a question of getting your mixture right for the speed/rev's you ride at ?

using fully synthetic on a standard type engine and doing short runs at a conservative speed may not be ideal. Most outings I do are generally a few hundred miles with some motorway driving and "cruising" at 60mph + with occasional trips into the 70 range.

like I say the oil works for me.
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

I've never switched oils for running in,just used the same oil as normal. Some do this but never understood it myself.
DaveTomo
Main scooter: SX 200

When I bought my Rapido from AF Raypseed a few years back, the below came with the kit.Recommended running in at 4% mineral or with semi synthetic - I used (and still do) semi synthetic .More just to let you know there is or was literature out there saying use mineral ;)
I am playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order.
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

Sure thing but why did they come to this conclusion,hey I'm not saying it's wrong or right but wonder their thinking on this.
lozmondo

Ive been buying up the Castrol power clean burn in the Tesco garages reduced to £2.50 a litre..got all the right numbers on it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information