Gearbox wont mesh

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mawso

SX200 gearbox, all cogs identified as SX200, but can't say whether early or late issue...is there a way to tell? Cluster is early type with the hollow in it. It just sticks and wont rotate. Had been told that early clusters wont work with later cogs, is that right?

Cheers.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Have you got the loose gears the right way around.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I've never had a combo of TV175, SX200 or Jet gears that wouldn't mesh. Is this a case of one of your loose gears being the right number of teeth but a different diameter and profile from another box?

Perhaps I've just not tried the combo that you've got.

Adam
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

the cluster is definitely TV175? Can't be SX200 (I know its the same box/ cluster) as the hollow was phased out well before SX200 came on stream. Just a thought.
Scootering since 1968.
mawso

Thanks for replies so far, teeth on loose cogs all tally with SX200 but not had a chance to measure thickness since finding out some more info that 3rd gear TV175/SX200 cog is 95.6mm and LI150 s1/s2/s3 cog is 97.2mm...could this be the problem, or would it still rotate in lower gears?

Cant find anything about the hollow cluster being solely for TV175, not saying it's not but have you got some details on that? Asked a few various engine builders and ex scooter shop mechanics who said it should be ok. This is the only thing holding up the engine being finished now.

Thanks again.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

one gear locking or binding will affect them all, had a similar issue with an af cr gearbox, had to adjust the backplate by repegging it to fix it, not ideal but works well now.
mawso

Cheers Holty...thought as much, wont get chance to measure 3rd gear until later this week, but have a few loose gears sat in an oil bath that I'll have to go through as well.

Still not been able to find any info on the hollowed spindle cluster not being usable or used in SX's. Surely if TV loose gears work with an SX cluster a TV cluster, if that's all they were used in, would work with SX gears?
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

a hollowed cluster should work perfectly OK in a later gearbox- what I was trying to say is that are you 100% sure the cluster you have is from a TV175?
Scootering since 1968.
mawso

Ah right, ok no bother :) No not 100% sure it's not from a TV.
fluff34567

I have a 100% positive unmolested tv175 gearbox in bits. If you need any measurements please let me know and I can measure it tomorrow afternoon. .. or you need to wait a week longer ; )
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information