Carb fouling on engine mount

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
onefortheroad
Main scooter: Li125 series 2

In the process of a s3 restoration and for the first time I'm having a go at building the engine. It's been a steep learning curve but I've enjoyed every minute.

The engine is now complete but I've just gone to fit the 22mil scootopia carb onto the innocenti manifold and it's fouling on the engine mount. It's not just the banjo touching the mount as I've seen before but the carb won't even mount level onto the inlet it's that bad.

As far as I can see the inlet manifold is either too close to the mount and I need another or the studs for the inlet manifold on the cylinder are in the wrong place. Anyone had this before.

Setup is

Cheap 175 alloy kit
BGM engine mounts
Innocenti 22mil manifold of Ebay
22mil scootopia carb (dellorto type copy)

Cheers.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

probably the studs on the "cheap 175" kit are not in the right place.

You might get round this by removing the inlet manifold, and elongating one of the holes so you can swing the inlet forwards a tad, thus missing the mount. Worth a try.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

The cheap alloy kit tells a story.I would be inclined to blame that,especially with you having a genuine Innocenti manifold.
onefortheroad

Looks like a strip down and trip back to the shop after Ive tried another manifold then.
Bombay Mix Pilot

Hi, You may need to talk to AF Rayspeed as I did when I fitted a budget 200 small block conversion kit to my 150. They do inlet manifolds that help with the carb/engine mount problem found with these type of kits so may do one for yours. Also Buzzsolomoto may do one as they do some of these barrel kits. Hope this helps.

Andy
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

It may be that the original S3 manifold was made shorter because it did not need to be longer to avoid fouling the longer mount. Try an LI S or SX manifold.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I have a smallblock manifold that may fit,the manifold is an after market one which I tried and then took it off because it kicked forward too far (towards the front of the scooter)and the air hose had too much of a bend in it.If it helps you can have it.The manifold is for a 22 mm carb.If you want it PM me with your address and I'll post it too you.
onefortheroad

Thanks everyone.

Contacted the shop today and they suggested trying the other manifold from them (although they are out of stock) or AF rayspeed (who I can never seem to get through to!)

I'll take you up on that offer Paul. I'll PM you now
onefortheroad

Manifold received. Top guy Paul
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information