Crank Advice Please

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
nellyboyo
Main scooter: Lambretta

Gents , I building an engine at the moment as a 'no rush ' project type thing ........ I want lower revving , high puling power type performance ....the casing I've picked up is in getting welded up and converted to 200 stud spacing at the moment.
I've got an MB Indian top end with a 68.5mm piston.
Shall I go for a 60mm 110 crank ( I`m guessing 1.5mm packer ) or 60mm 115 crank ( start with 3mm packer ? and check squish from there ) .
cheers for any help .
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

Either will do the job well... Longer rod gives a smoother setup. I have a 60 x 115 in one scoot and a 60 x 110 in the other, and to be honest I cant tell the difference.

The 115 crank through I used a lower crown height piston to avoid a large packer...
nellyboyo

ok cheers mate..I think the race tour piston has a 38mm crown height....so as I say I was guessing a 3mm packer and just check on set up .
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

I generally mock it up with whatever gaskets and packers I have about to get the piston where I want it... then take them out and measure.. and then order the one to suit... Same goes with Gaskets at the top end to get the squish I need...

Just finished building an engine for a mate ... 60 x 110 crank, 2mm packer at base and a 2.5mm head gasket to get a 1.1mm squish
nellyboyo

Yes , after this welding and machining on the crankcase I`m not betting that the deck level will be as it should as I`ve read they are all a little different anyhow . I`m expecting to have to play with it , cheers
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Std piston to go with 58 x 107 is 39mm crown height and with 116 rod it's 30mm. So with a 116 rod and standard piston you're looking at a 9mm packer. I think it's a route that Darrell Taylor uses with great success, TV or 115 rod plus std piston, he's the man for the packers and the cowling packers too.
nellyboyo

OK , thanks mate...I think he only dwells on facetwatter though ...is that correct ??
I avoid it like the plague....under the radar me.. ;)
Toddy
Main scooter: Lambretta Series 1

nellyboyo wrote:OK , thanks mate...I think he only dwells on facetwatter though ...is that correct ??
I avoid it like the plague....under the radar me.. ;)
No he comes on here as well

e mail dartay@btinternet.com
As my Dad used to say "Each to their own lad"
nellyboyo

OK , Tidy
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information