Scootopia fuel taps??

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Ok fitted one of these on my scooter last year when I did the rebuild and noticed the thread on the tap was pretty poorly done and the thread on the nut was no better and couldn't be done up so I ended up using the nut of my original OMG tap which was ok but I had to be really carefull to not over tighten it as like I say the thread was crap on the tap.

Anyway fast forward twelve months and a friend has gone and bought two Scootopia taps, one from Scootopia and another new one from elsewhere, anyway I helped him fit one the other day, the first one the one he had off Scootopia we found like mine the thread was shot so I tried using the OMG nut but it was much worse than mine and couldn't be used.... Then whilst we were messing about with it the rod fell out (the bit that turns the fuel on and off) as the groove that seats the circlip that holds it in was not machined properly. Ok so we unpack the one he had off the other supplier, checked the circlip groove which was perfect moved on to the nut and threaded part..... both no good and we were unable to tighten it, took it back off and put the old OMG back on.

Then fast forward to today I'm over at Harry's having some stuff done to mine he turns the fuel on and bingo! the bloody rod came out barely any groove at all machined for the circlip.

Is this a known problem with the Scootopia taps? or have we just been unlucky 3 times in a row?
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I don't think I've noticed anything wrong with the threads on mine. Having said that I had one on another scooter and for some reason the tap would turn right around. I haven't had one fall to pieces yet though.
YAMLAM

Scooterdude ,i had exactly the same problem last wednesday, fitting a scootopia tap on a friends Lammy ive been doing odd jobs on , turned it on and off a couple of times then the rod fell out.
Then it started raining so havent had time to look at it closely yet.
win or lose have a booze
gerryjunior
Xbox live gamer tag: no
Playstation gamer tag: no
Main scooter: lambretta li 2

no problem fitting mine , but it turned out it didn't have a reserve as I found out one evening on my way home,,
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I've had a Scootopia fast flow tap since the begining of last year,the nut tightened ok and rod hasn't fallen out up to now and I haven't had any trouble with it.I wonder if this is a bad batch with poor machining causing all the problems.
Scooterdude

gerryjunior wrote:no problem fitting mine , but it turned out it didn't have a reserve as I found out one evening on my way home,,
Ok just took it back off and replaced it with a OMG fast flow from Rayspeed, so much better made. And whilst draining the tank I discovered the reserve on the Scootopia was just 300ml! So not of much use especially for you TS1/RB guys.
Bilko
Main scooter: LI150

Scooterdude wrote:
gerryjunior wrote: Ok just took it back off and replaced it with a OMG fast flow from Rayspeed, so much better made. And whilst draining the tank I discovered the reserve on the Scootopia was just 300ml! So not of much use especially for you TS1/RB guys.

I was going to get a Scootopia tap until my mate told me how bad his reserve is. I want a chance to get to the next garage!
Bilko's Oily Blog

Directionally dysfunctional since 1966
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Scooterdude wrote:
gerryjunior wrote:no problem fitting mine , but it turned out it didn't have a reserve as I found out one evening on my way home,,
Ok just took it back off and replaced it with a OMG fast flow from Rayspeed, so much better made. And whilst draining the tank I discovered the reserve on the Scootopia was just 300ml! So not of much use especially for you TS1/RB guys.
Its the same as a standard tap.
Scooterdude

HxPaul wrote:
Scooterdude wrote:
Its the same as a standard tap.
No I've checked, the new OMG was about 3.5 litres on reserve, I've cut the pipe back a bit now giving a reserve capacity of 1 3/4 litres, looks about the same as the standard one now.
Marty ULC
Main scooter: curry burner GP225 mugello

Bilko wrote:
Scooterdude wrote:
gerryjunior wrote: Ok just took it back off and replaced it with a OMG fast flow from Rayspeed, so much better made. And whilst draining the tank I discovered the reserve on the Scootopia was just 300ml! So not of much use especially for you TS1/RB guys.

I was going to get a Scootopia tap until my mate told me how bad his reserve is. I want a chance to get to the next garage!
The nearest petrol station was less than 5 miles away when it went onto reserve and I didn't quite make it.

Is it easy enough to fit a longer tube from an old omg tap or should I just buy another brand and bin it?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information