Oil seal removal [emoji24]

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

If you're going to try and drill them out you need to drill in the dead centre not to the sides like in that pic.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

rosscla wrote:If you're going to try and drill them out you need to drill in the dead centre not to the sides like in that pic.
+1

It's easier on Spanish ones as they use Philips head screws so they self-centre. I'd use a conical stone in a dremmel to create a dimple in the screw head; easy job and you can see when you're going wrong and correct it without a problem. The drill will then just find the centre of the dimple.
gaz_powell

I'm not a lover of the impact driver and prefer to use a good socket attachment on a rachet with the correct size head (slotted/hex/phillips).

Even though I have the correct tools for any type (to fit and remove) I don't like the hex head type that 'experts' pushed us to use. I still believe the original slotted is the best fixing. Inserted and removed with the correct tools....

Good luck with removal, I ve had a few challenging ones in the past, overcome by soaking, punching round but know (credit to someone else destroying the plate (leaving screw in place) and giving access to mole grips to remove.
fluff34567

Use heat as unless you had it from new the screws could have had loctite applied.
coaster

What others have already said but it could maybe do with a good soaking (for a day or 2) in diesel. The plate will have been dot punched in line with the screw slots to stop them vibrating loose and you need to over come that resistance.
bazza3004

Still reckon they will come out with a decent impact driver and a tip thats wide/long wnough to fill the slot. I use a snap on set myself. Not cheap but never let me down yet.
Ilango
Main scooter: SIL Vijai Super

If the screws don't budge with an impact driver, this is what I do.
Prepare a T out of 2 x 6mm MS rods. The longer rod needs to be about 25cm and the shorter one about 20 cm.
Use an arc welding machine make 2 spots to weld the T with the screws. After a minute or so, rotate the T by its handle in the anti-clockwise direction.
Any jammed screw will come out in no time.
-Ilango
Lambretta Sash
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta TV 230

Good impact driver with correct bit usually works, if head is a bit mullered try putting a solid extension ontp tip and give a clout, put tip into impact driver then try tightening then back to undo.
Failing that weld m6-8 nut on screw head it never fails, unless stainless screws were used
fluff34567

Impact using a 1/2" drive extension and a proper bit and no issues but make sure to heat first if in doubt
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

As mentioned, a good impact driver with a quality bit that fits the groove correctly will work wonders. What no one mentions though is cleaning!

Scrub the screw head clean first with a small wire brush. You'll be surprised at how much easier it will make that screw come out.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information