TV175 barrels

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
blimeyolriley
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I'm so desperate for a 175 cylinder to put on my Li150 that I bought a 175 cylinder today from a well known ebay seller but I might have wrongly assumed that they are have small block stud spacing ? I have also realised too late, that the cylinder may actually be a Lambro 3 wheeler cylinder ? which presumably wouldn't be any use on a Li150 :cry:
Its definitely not a series 1 as it has 4x fins above the inlet ports

I have spent all night going through books annd the net and cannot find the definitive specs on 175 cylinders
Could someone please enlighten me about how many different 175 cylinders there are and the various differences.They will hopefully be open tomorrow and I can contact them to cancel the order before they send it if I need to
blimeyolriley

Apparently all 175 Lambro 3x wheeler engines are 'big block' ;)

As far as I know the series 1 and series 2 TV175 engines are both small block stud spacing but I'm not sure about the series 3 TV175 or if there were any other 175 standard engines produced.

Any other 175 cylinders will presumably be 150 small block cylinders that have been bored to 175.? :?
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Yes TV175 s 3 engines are small block. If you want a really good 175 cylinder to go on your 150 I'd suggest you contact Harry Barlow (Leicester) who will supply you with a quality bespoke conversion complete with matching head + all the advice you'll ever need.
blimeyolriley

thank you for taking the time to answer my request for information its much appreciated :D .
All I needed right now is information on which 175 cylinders were small block and which were big block in case I need to cancel my order.
Thanks for confirming series 3 TV cylinder stud spacing is small block .

I have since read that the series 3 TV175 was also called the GT175 which confused me at first as I wondered if the GT175 was based on the later GT200 which had a modified crankcase mouth (big block)

The seller has confirmed that the 175 cylinder I bought is a small block spacing and is the long series 3 type cylinder. its Indian,( hence the price), so it just remains for me to draw up a port map when I get it and then I can assess whether I need to carry out some porting work or not.

I appreciate your advice and the link to Harry Barlow but that route would be far far too expensive for me (poor pensioner lol) and wouldn't give me what I want. Its not just the cylinder kit you'd be paying for its also the engineering work and the upgrades required to the carburettor and exhaust system to make the most of it. Altogether I could see the Harry barlow route costing in excess of £500-£600 and giving me a fire breathing monster which I definitely don't want and couldn't afford :cry:
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

blimeyolriley wrote:
I appreciate your advice and the link to Harry Barlow but that route would be far far too expensive for me (poor pensioner lol) and wouldn't give me what I want. Its not just the cylinder kit you'd be paying for its also the engineering work and the upgrades required to the carburettor and exhaust system to make the most of it. Altogether I could see the Harry barlow route costing in excess of £500-£600 and giving me a fire breathing monster which I definitely don't want and couldn't afford :cry:
if you want far to expensive or fire breathing monster he will build you a 283 or a 296 for several thousand pounds. No the 175 conversion is designed with economy in mind and will cost you around £200 tops.
EddieStone
Main scooter: Lambretta Li 150

I'm a bit puzzled with what you're hoping to achieve. If you have an Li150 and want to increase the capacity (in order to increase the power) then you would bore out the barrel, fit a conversion piston, modify the head, maybe do a bit of porting and you would get an increase in power.

If you fit a TV175 barrel, you would need to replace the crank (or at least the conrod), modify the head and fit a normal TV/GT175 piston.

Both achieve pretty much the same thing but the first one is a lot easier and cheaper.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

EddieStone wrote:I'm a bit puzzled with what you're hoping to achieve. If you have an Li150 and want to increase the capacity (in order to increase the power) then you would bore out the barrel, fit a conversion piston, modify the head, maybe do a bit of porting and you would get an increase in power.

If you fit a TV175 barrel, you would need to replace the crank (or at least the conrod), modify the head and fit a normal TV/GT175 piston.

Both achieve pretty much the same thing but the first one is a lot easier and cheaper.
if your using a tv175 barrel on an li or other small block you can simply use a conversion piston so you dont have to change the crank, but you would need the head
blimeyolriley

oops
Last edited by blimeyolriley on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blimeyolriley

blast
Last edited by blimeyolriley on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blimeyolriley

apologies I thought that I had said but to be fair all i was asking for was for someone to tell me which 175cc cylinders were small block spacing and which were big block spacing .

Anyway what I am aiming for is to build a TV175 engine ;)

If I had just wanted to have a 175cc upgrade I would buy a 175 small block conversion kit for £100 and save myself all this grief.
Now I bet someone is going to ask me why I should want to build a TV175 long stroke engine to put on my Li150 series 3 :D :D :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information