History in the Making...

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

http://s414.photobucket.com/user/a_geek ... sort=3&o=0

You may or may not be able to see this image or follow the link but I'll follow up with some detail...
Adam_Winstone

In an attempt to find my original Italian (raised Innocenti logo, if memory serves correctly) alloy drive-side retaining plate, which was being discussed elsewhere, I had a look through the internals that I'd taken out of a GP200 motor, many moons ago. Whilst I could not find the drive-side plate, I did note something that had caught my eye when I stripped the motor originally.

If you've followed the link (seems to work) then you'll see that the rear of the Innocenti 47 tooth rear sprocket has been engraved with part number, date, signature and 'taglio-D', with Google Translate suggesting that taglio translates to 'cut'.

This is the only time that I can remember finding such markings, however, I seem to recall stories of similar being recounted by others (?). Perhaps this is something that others have found? The info is intriguing and I wonder if this relates to development of parts, the end of a production batch, an employee's last day or simply a slow Friday afternoon? Either way, I liked it and thought I'd share it with you.

Adam
GeorgeS
Main scooter: 1961 Series II Granturismo 240

Nice picture, I really like these little glimpses of history.

An ex girlfriends father bought a early 60`s Li150 S3 from Cam Lam, this would have been early 90`s when they`d ferried a load of stuff back from Italy. As I was riding it home I could feel the endplate was lose so took the chaincase off. Inside were 3 words inscribed in Italian on the chaincase (I think, could have been on the casing itself, it was long ago) which I translated at the time to `Gradual Internal Dent`. I can't remember the exact Italian words, but now when I translate `gradual internal dent` back to Italian with google I don't think I'm getting the exact phrase I saw, perhaps it was something similar but hasn't translated well.
Adam_Winstone

^... yep, I love this sort of echo from the past too. Another example was lifting the old original lino in our house and finding the 1960s newspaper that had been laid as insulation at the time of the lino going down. At the time it means little but it is really interesting when discovered many decades later.

Nice story. Thanks for sharing.

Adam
dirtyhandslopez

"Gradual internal dent" doesn't sound good.
That's not going anywhere...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information