Mystery GP200

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Stevie W
Main scooter: lAMBRETTA gp200

I have just been offered a DL200 which was imported from Italy in 1989, the bike is totally original and unmolested but it gets interesting and intriguing as it was registered in November 1968, two months before the official January 1969 launch. The frame has an SX150 number but it's definitely a GP frame in its original Yellow Ochre paint and the numbers have not been tampered with. The engine is SX200 and original to the bike.
The bike has plenty of documentation to prove it's authenticity and has been in the current owners possession since importation in 1989. The only explanation for this anomaly I can think of is that this is a pre production model produced for publicity and press launch. Incidentally the official 1969 lambretta calendar produced late 68, features a Yellow Ochre GP200 which may well be the actual bike.
Well Lambretta gurus, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this before I bite the bullet and buy it.
mr mugello

I guess it could be a converted sx frame done in factory.
Lambretta Sash
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta TV 230

I had an early GP200 in which had the correct range engine number, however the casing which should start 22 inside had 19?
The case was out true to cylinder face which caused an issue with killing drive side bearings.
shamrockexpress

ask dean orton at rimini????????????
he will know, now getting him on the phone might be challenging :lol:
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

I remember Cambridge Lambretta having a DP/GP 125 or 150 import in a number of years ago, which was an odd one as it had conflicting 200cc frame details ( I can't now remember whether it was a 25**** frame number of a 200 DGM number) but everything else was as you would expect for an unmolested Italian import. The bought it in as a smallblock bike and sold it on as such, however, it would have been a very easy one for them to look to dress up and move on as a 200 (respect to them for not doing so). With no indication of this having ever been tampered with, it was one example of how they either 'got it wrong' at the factory or decided to change a frame to fulfill a consignment.

Never say never with Innocenti!
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I suppose the bottom line is that you couldn't register it as a GP with an SX frame number. I doubt the DVLA would be quite so understanding.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

is this already registered with DVLA? If so what is it registered as?
Scootering since 1968.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

possibly an Innocenti "mock up' for publicity prior to proper GP's coming on stream?
Scootering since 1968.
Stevie W
Main scooter: lAMBRETTA gp200

I suspect that it is a pre release press model and it has been UK registered since 1989 as a SX200.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Stevie W wrote:I have just been offered a DL200 which was imported from Italy in 1989, the bike is totally original and unmolested but it gets interesting and intriguing as it was registered in November 1968, two months before the official January 1969 launch. The frame has an SX150 number but it's definitely a GP frame in its original Yellow Ochre paint and the numbers have not been tampered with. The engine is SX200 and original to the bike.
The bike has plenty of documentation to prove it's authenticity and has been in the current owners possession since importation in 1989. The only explanation for this anomaly I can think of is that this is a pre production model produced for publicity and press launch. Incidentally the official 1969 lambretta calendar produced late 68, features a Yellow Ochre GP200 which may well be the actual bike.
Well Lambretta gurus, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this before I bite the bullet and buy it.

Have you any images of the scooter and documentation to post up? It all sounds very intriguing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information