6000 rpm normal????

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

Please don't take this the wrong way but, if you are messing with tuned Lambretta engines, you really need to buy a strobe and figure out how to use it. They are very straightforward :-)
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

storkfoot wrote:Please don't take this the wrong way but, if you are messing with tuned Lambretta engines, you really need to buy a strobe and figure out how to use it. They are very straightforward :-)
Not taken in the wrong way at all mate - I'm a good student - here to learn. To be honest it's one of the only areas i haven't tried to do myself yet ;)
Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
alanscottj

alanscottj wrote:
storkfoot wrote:Please don't take this the wrong way but, if you are messing with tuned Lambretta engines, you really need to buy a strobe and figure out how to use it. They are very straightforward :-)
Not taken in the wrong way at all mate - I'm a good student - here to learn. To be honest it's one of the only areas i haven't tried to do myself yet ;)
Got myself a strobe gun this afternoon so will have a play later and see where the timing is at ;)
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Well done :D

Remember the strobe is only as accurate as your TDC mark..........and the other marks based on that.
alanscottj

mick1 wrote:Well done :D

Remember the strobe is only as accurate as your TDC mark..........and the other marks based on that.
Yeah, got a stopper that screws into the spark plug and a Cam Lam timing disc :D
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

That's exactly what I have. I have not strobed a Varitronic. I presume they strobe the same?
alanscottj

Okay - here's one for ya!

Set up the strobe light - started the engine - started to strobe - could clearly see the arrow pointing upwards at dead on 12 o'clock - gave a little throttle - arrow retarded a few degrees, all good I thought, so gave a little bit more throttle and the arrow retarded a touch more (only 7 or 8 degrees) then bam it was gone! Stopped engine - started again perfect - same again, retarded 7 or 8 degrees then it disappeared again, this time I left engine running and found the arrow again - virtually opposite at 6 o'clock!!! So, after about 6000 revs my Varitronic is retarding about 180 degrees!

I'm no expert but I would say that is what is wrong with my engine :lol:

What i don't know though is what is causing it???

Any help most appreciated - as always!

Scott
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Could be the double spark on the Varitronic causing the strobe to have hic-ups. cam-lam used to sell a strobe suitable for the Varitronic.

Mines a Draper ยฃ20 job that worked fine so who knows if a special one is required.

On the other hand you could be seeing your stator/cdi breaking down
tarmac tickler

make another timing mark directley opposite the one on the flywheel,, ie,, if timing mark is 12 oclock, make one at 6 oclock,,, re strobe and as if like magic you,ll see the new timing mark
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

The spark is breaking down under load...possibly due to misalignment between stator pickup and flywheel firing point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information