6000 rpm normal????

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Not that it's all about BHP.......but.......i'ld have been a bit concerned at the Dyno at getting under 20BHP. With the set up you have I think you're missing quite a few BHP. This could be linked to rev's and the sudden drop in power. Something definitely not right.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

alanscottj wrote:I didn't have a chat about the graph to be honest, I just sort of assumed if there was a problem with anything he would of mentioned it. I just took it home and rode it. The blue line was with a JL3 and a different gearbox (GP200) and the green supertourer line was with a AF Close Ratio box - could the close ratio box also account for the drop of power after 6000?
Well, personally, I'd be disappointed in their level of customer service as, even to my untrained eye, your engine should be revving and holding it's power to around 8000 revs.

Talk to us about how you set the Varitronic up please?
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

Fitted the Varitronic myself and did it the way the scooter centre where I bought it suggested, he showed me where the mark needed to be in relation to one of the studs that holds it on. I'm fairly sure, but not 100%, that I asked for it to be checked when I had it dyno'd. I've just been for a spin on her - she is running great, but doesn't go much over 6000 revs at full throttle. It's not something that has been an issue as I have only been running her around town but now it's fully run in and summer is coming I obviously want to get the best out of the engine, I've spent enough on it!
Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

alanscottj wrote: could the close ratio box also account for the drop of power after 6000?
No.

It's not your pipe, it's not your gearbox.

It might be your ignition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
alanscottj

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:
alanscottj wrote: could the close ratio box also account for the drop of power after 6000?
No.

It's not your pipe, it's not your gearbox.

It might be your ignition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
K - what do I need to check it? Strobe to make sure it's set right? and can I check with a multimeter?

Thanks
alanscottj

Just checked stator wires with multimeter on 2k:

Red - 294
Blue - 000
Yellow - 001

Any thoughts on these readings?

Many thanks
mick1

Have you got TDC and degree marks ? are you sure they are correct ?

I'd strobe it and see what happens......

After strobing it I'd also be inclined to check if your TDC and firing marks are correct

If I recall correctly the Varitronic retards about 8 degrees, assuming you travel at about 6000 rev's (60mph), that's where you want 16/17 degrees to be, so maybe setting the varitronic to 22/23 would be a starting point.

I'm wondering if the Varitronic is set at 16/17 and retarding from there......that could be a possible cause ?
alanscottj

mick1 wrote:Have you got TDC and degree marks ? are you sure they are correct ?

I'd strobe it and see what happens......

After strobing it I'd also be inclined to check if your TDC and firing marks are correct

If I recall correctly the Varitronic retards about 8 degrees, assuming you travel at about 6000 rev's (60mph), that's where you want 16/17 degrees to be, so maybe setting the varitronic to 22/23 would be a starting point.

I'm wondering if the Varitronic is set at 16/17 and retarding from there......that could be a possible cause ?
Thanks Mick - I think I'll see if I can get someone to strobe who knows what he's doing. I've never used a strobe so I might take her to local scooter shop.

I was looking on the Varitronic specs sheet and the Red should be reading 290 +-20% so mine is spot on but the Yellow should read 0.4 - mine says 001 - is that significant? Having said that the yellow is the lights so wouldn't of thought it would affect revs :?:
mick1

Whereabouts' are you ?
alanscottj

mick1 wrote:Whereabouts' are you ?
Llandudno, North Wales :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information