6000 rpm normal????

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:The spark is breaking down under load...possibly due to misalignment between stator pickup and flywheel firing point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Dan, what is the fix for this?
Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Check alignment, check pickup....amend/replace as required.

See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
alanscottj

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:Check alignment, check pickup....amend/replace as required.

Sorry for all the questions - how can I check alignment? Had the stator off and it looks brand new, no obvious signs of damage.

Thanks.

Scott
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

You need to measure the height of the centre line of the pick up (black plastic bit) on the stator from the backplate. Next you need to work out the height of the mid-point crossover magnets on your Flywheel from the same datum point. I do that by measuring Flywheel front face from stator backplate then subtracting the height from Flywheel front face to mid-point between crossover magnets.

The last 2 I've done were both out by 2mm. Does it matter? Don't know, but it's right now. Is there an easier way of doing it? I'm sure there is and I'll bet someone tells you within the hour.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

alanscottj

Okay - I took the stator off - checked it all over looks good. Made new marks for TDC - firing point etc - according to my calculations the timing is set at 23 degrees. Now when I strobe the arrow sits at 23 and retards as it should - not 180 degrees as it was. Also I noticed that the clamp that goes onto the HT lead was not gripping the lead properly so maybe it was disconnecting when I tried it for the first time. Whatever has changed - it seems to be working properly now.

Looking at the Cam Lam website they reckon it should be 19 degrees and someone else I spoke to said they set theirs at 26 at fast tick over - so, the million dollar question is - which is right 19, 23 or 26 or none of the above :?:
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

23 at fast tickover. It retards 8degrees so if you set at 19 it will be 11 at 8000 which would surely restrict your top end.
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

alanscottj wrote:... Now when I strobe the arrow sits at 23 and retards as it should ....
How far did it go, 8 degrees?

Maybe pick up the phone and speak with Cam Lam? 19 to 11 doesn't seem right to me.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

It's just been pointed out to me that you are running a variotronic....sorry, I didn't see that.

My suggestion that it's an ignition problem still stands, the method of diagnosis will be slightly different though.

I'd do this:

A) test readings with a multimeter to identify any dud components or shorts.
B) rev it in neutral on the stand....if it's an ignition fault it will 'bounce' instead of 'zing'. By that I mean it will sound like an artificial rev limiter. The engine SHOULD rev out to 9000rpm in neutral with that pipe. If it hits a 'limit' then go to C below.
C) if readings on A) are out of kilter and it 'bounces' on B.......start replacing components.

See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
alanscottj

storkfoot wrote:
alanscottj wrote:... Now when I strobe the arrow sits at 23 and retards as it should ....
How far did it go, 8 degrees?

Maybe pick up the phone and speak with Cam Lam? 19 to 11 doesn't seem right to me.
Yep - 23 - retarded 8 degrees :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information