6000 rpm normal????

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
bazza3004

my ts1 reved out to 9500 0n the dyno so it should be higher than 6000 on the stand.
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

Found my dyno readout - the red line is the most recent run. I know absolutely nothing about reading dyno graphs. As the engine makes peak power at 6000 revs am I right in thinking that that is the max my engine/pipe combo will make?

Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

No because it clearly revs on to 8250. Although it only makes 9.6 at that speed....it must have got there some how...magic maybe?
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

The pipe is not the problem.

I'd suggest you investigate the ignition first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
alanscottj

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:The pipe is not the problem.

I'd suggest you investigate the ignition first.

what? Timing changed?
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

It's worth getting it strobed to see how far it's retarding as the rev's increase. It may be retarding too far and preventing it revving out.

The more expensive strobes incorporate a rev counter as well.....
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

alanscottj wrote: what? Timing changed?
No, not that the timing has 'changed'....but that there might be a problem with the ignition.

Look at this graph, it's a TS1 with Franspeed Super Tourer, see the red line:

That is what your graph should look like, but when your engine hits its peak at circa 6k rpm.....the power tails of badly, whereas it should go on to peak much higher/later.

So what I'm saying is: It's worth investigating your ignition system, It may be breaking down under load. The pipe is not the problem.

See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
alanscottj

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:
alanscottj wrote: what? Timing changed?
No, not that the timing has 'changed'....but that there might be a problem with the ignition.

Look at this graph, it's a TS1 with Franspeed Super Tourer, see the red line:

That is what your graph should look like, but when your engine hits its peak at circa 6k rpm.....the power tails of badly, whereas it should go on to peak much higher/later.

So what I'm saying is: It's worth investigating your ignition system, It may be breaking down under load. The pipe is not the problem.

Thanks - I can see the difference now - very clearly! So, how do I go about checking the ignition? Is it as Mick1 says, get it stroked? Or do I check it With a multimeter? Not had much experience with the ignition side of things ;)

Many thanks :D
storkfoot
Main scooter: '70 GP150 [TS1 225]

The dyno operator. What conversation did you have with them after that dyno readout, especially about the ignition timing?

I concur with what has been said previously by the way as the dyno graph for my TS1/ Supertourer engine is similar to Dan's.
alanscottj

I didn't have a chat about the graph to be honest, I just sort of assumed if there was a problem with anything he would of mentioned it. I just took it home and rode it. The blue line was with a JL3 and a different gearbox (GP200) and the green supertourer line was with a AF Close Ratio box - could the close ratio box also account for the drop of power after 6000?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information