6000 rpm normal????

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

drunkmunkey6969 wrote:It's just been pointed out to me that you are running a variotronic....sorry, I didn't see that.

My suggestion that it's an ignition problem still stands, the method of diagnosis will be slightly different though.

I'd do this:

A) test readings with a multimeter to identify any dud components or shorts.
B) rev it in neutral on the stand....if it's an ignition fault it will 'bounce' instead of 'zing'. By that I mean it will sound like an artificial rev limiter. The engine SHOULD rev out to 9000rpm in neutral with that pipe. If it hits a 'limit' then go to C below.
C) if readings on A) are out of kilter and it 'bounces' on B.......start replacing components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After I took stator off and put it back on again it now revs on to over 8000 not far off 9000 on the stand.
Checked all readings and they are good readings (290 on the red) - revs up nicely and with a 'zing'.

Went out for a spin and she hit 70 (was a bit wet to be pushing any harder on my back roads!) runs fantastic but I'm not 100% I am getting the most out of this engine. Spoke to scooter shop near me today and he reckons I should go to 24 degrees timing and come down one tooth on my front sprocket (Cyclone 5 46x19 at the moment) :D

Also, scooter shop reckon it might have been set up rich/safe and that might account for the drop off in power on my graph?

Tempted to stick a 18 front sprocket on and see what she goes like then :?:
Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ‘
Chris in Margate
Main scooter: Lambretta 1964 225 Special

So what was the fix ?
Was your timing too far retarded or have you disturbed something ?
dave411
Main scooter: Li 125

interested to hear your fix.
alanscottj

dave411 wrote:interested to hear your fix.
To be honest I have no idea! All I did was take the stator off - checked it over - put it back on and she revs right through now. I have left the timing as it was as at 23. Revs out on the stand to near 9000 revs.

Maybe a had something trapped or something - who knows :lol:

The mystery that is the Lambretta :roll:
Morgan
Main scooter: T5 Vespa Mk1

It'd be interesting to get it re-Dyno'd and see what you've been missing......
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Maybe you trapped a stator wire first time round.
alanscottj

Morgan wrote:It'd be interesting to get it re-Dyno'd and see what you've been missing......
That's the plan - Since the last dyno I have changed the gearbox to a 5 speed and yesterday I changed the front sprocket to a 20 tooth - only had a little spin on it but feels much better already, nice to ride :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information