Chain case gasket ?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Ok what's the general consensus on the use of gasket sealant on the chain case gasket? Am tempted to fit dry as both sealing surfaces are clean and flat.
I do use a smiggen of grease on the mag flange and base gasket more for ease of removal than anything else.
Cheers.
bazza3004

Personally i just do as you do on mag and lightly smear grease over sidecase gasket. Ive never used a sealent on here and never had any problems with leaks.
Shipleystevep
Main scooter: Lambretta

Just a smear of grease, not so much to seal but that it doesn't rip when you have to take the side casing off again.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Ditto x 2
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

Must confess I was previously using grease on the base and mag gasket on engine builds, but more recently have switched over to using a sealant as concerned with air leaks but i'm not sure if it makes the difference.

I currently have a leak on the LI Special at present from the chaincase (rear of engine caked in oil) and must whip the chaincase off, rub it down and see if I can flatten it some more and then I will be using sealant.

Ironically I had 'Hermitite' instant red gasket on the gasket previously and it never leaked. It might just be my engine case and chaincase faces just aren't true, its on a Spanish case as well ......
warts
Main scooter: honda

If its leaking it could be a blocked breather.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Cheers guys for the replies. Must confess I have used wellseal on a previous build but it's messy! Will use grease from now on though.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

I had to use threebond on my Base and mag flanges on my last build as I had leaks from both. Sorted now.

I also had a sidecasing leak which I fixed by using a Cork gasket. About a tenner from ktf scooters.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I've always used grease on my mag,cylinder base and inlet gaskets,always done a leak down test and never had a leak.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

^... gets my vote too.

However, I have wasted hours and hours and hours cleaning gasket sealant crap, of various types, off motors that others have built but that I've then had to work on! I've also had to do roadside repairs on other's bikes and been trying to make the best of a bodge job in trying to remove sidecasings to address clutch issues, etc. where the builder had basically stuck the gasket to both engine and side casing with sealant!

Use a greased gasket to allow the gasket to do its job and to give yourself a chance of disassembly and re-use if necessary.

Adam
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information