lammie wheel rims

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
shamrockexpress

the best and safest high speed rims TUBELESS OR SPLIT goes without saying need to run true!!!!!!!
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

SIP tubeless rims are round. Are they the safest? I'm not sure whether they are safer than another make of CNC machined one-piece tubeless rim, but then I have not heard any stories of un-safe tubeless CNC machined rims.

Have you? Your question suggests you might have.
Martin
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

I tried a SIP tubeless rim on the front wheel of the sidecar because they are supposed to be safer in that they deflate slowly if punctured. Picked up a nail and felt a slight wander and before I could stop I was straight across the road and up the banked verge. Bent the forks and part of the sidecar chassis so I was not impressed with tubeless rims.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Split rims you are either looking at Scootopia (which I seem to remember you had issues with) pattern Italian or Indian, which I can't really speak for. Not forgetting the BGM ones, which cost an arm and a leg. I have used the Evergreen standard wheel rim, which I think is Tino's, and that is very good. I've just had a quick look and I can't find those anywhere though.
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

Tractorman wrote:I tried a SIP tubeless rim on the front wheel of the sidecar because they are supposed to be safer in that they deflate slowly if punctured. Picked up a nail and felt a slight wander and before I could stop I was straight across the road and up the banked verge. Bent the forks and part of the sidecar chassis so I was not impressed with tubeless rims.
You'd have been really unimpressed with a tubed tyre going pop.
Did you have to do that?
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

AF Rayspeed do good tubeless for £55 each plus p&p.They fit on the original hub studs,front one is ok but on the rear the valve stem catches on the hub.They're working on a valve stem that doesn't touch the rear hub,I dont know how long that will take but its worth a phone call to ask.
Doom Patrol

Phone, AF Rayspeed? Good luck with that. :lol:
mr mugello

I went with Scootopia split rims. Bolts tighten up fine unlike some I have had that were cheese, seem true enough laying on flat surface. Not going to do motorway cruising or high speed myself If I was I would give the split rims a swerve and look into getting sips.I had a GTS Vespa which has the tubeless,. Riding along I heard a loud bang like a gun going off or tyre exploding , startled the hell out of me! Scoot was handling fine. Stopped for quick check. Everything looked fine tyre seem inflated ok. Got home had a better look. Saw the end of a nail in tread of rear. Got some pliers and started pulling out. Could not believe it kept coming and coming. Three inch nail not even bent.
shamrockexpress

Doom Patrol wrote:Split rims you are either looking at Scootopia (which I seem to remember you had issues with) pattern Italian or Indian, which I can't really speak for. Not forgetting the BGM ones, which cost an arm and a leg. I have used the Evergreen standard wheel rim, which I think is Tino's, and that is very good. I've just had a quick look and I can't find those anywhere though.

Thank for all the replies,,,,,,,yes i had issues last year searching for a split rim which was round(runs true) i had to end up buying the stainless BGM ones 110 a pop is expensive but they are so superior to all the rest i think it money well spent. For my new build this winter i was considering tubeless but still not confines by quality,,,,,,,,,,,
Doom Patrol

Well BGM ones are definitely an investment insofar as they might take twenty years to pay for themselves. Trouble is I'd probably be dead by then. :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information