TS1 225 Kits - advice please

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
OAP
Dealer

Just to put things STRAIGHT I use to supply Avanti machined heads to AF specifically for Rapido, TS1's, RB 20's, RB 225 & 250's, not blanks, the rest is history.

Question was asked were any tests done on heat reducion? Yes, ask anyone with half a brain. & why would any one copy anything that did not work? RM
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Adding to this thread iam on fitting a 60/110 crank into my ts and to get the transfers level with the piston I've ended up with a 2 mm packer at the bottom and 2.7 between barrel and head witch gives a squish of 1.3 but testing port timings I get 182 exh and 126 transfers does this seem low Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

Strummer10 wrote:Cheers Corrado......any idea if AF have tested to see what heat reductions this achieves ?

Sorry chaps my above post was not technically what I wanted / needed to ask. What I meant was, speaking to others in the industry I am not aware of any overheating issues with the TS1 kit using the original head designed for it as observed by LCGB members doing UK and europeon rallies at high speeds for long durations......... BUT obviously concur and accept the Avanti type head offers better cooling....
Strummer10

OK.....speaking to AF they believe the new 'AF HEAD' head provides around 30-40% cooling over the original head design, but are not aware of any overheating issues based on the original head design.......
gaz_powell

A well set up TS1 will run all day without over heating problems associated with a "standard" head modified for the kit.

There`s plenty of us have been doing it for years and will continue this year.

While the big head maybe progress, Im not in a rush to change my set ups.

I will be building a TS1 for a friend shortly for rally work and will be sticking with a unmodified kit, AF head, 57x107 crank (maybe a 57x110 ??), SIL 200 g/b, static timing...........
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

^... 100% agree that the standard style head is perfectly adequate for most kits, even race kits, if the cowlings are good and the air flow / cooling is sufficient, with ignition, carburation and compression suitable. Basically, very few heads would need to run the Avanti head. However, the additional cooling offered by these heads allows motors that want to be pushed further (run slightly higher compression, more advanced ignition timing, 'on the money' jetting, etc.) then this additional cooling allows these changes that could result in a traditional head motor being too close to the limit, having very limited safety margin and/or running hot.

No, virtually all motors do not need an Avanti head, however, fitting one allows you to revise settings to gain a little more performance without compromising reliability. Either way, you need to apply settings that suit any motor, additional cooling is just one element that needs to be taken into account.

Adam
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

garry inglis wrote:Adding to this thread iam on fitting a 60/110 crank into my ts and to get the transfers level with the piston I've ended up with a 2 mm packer at the bottom and 2.7 between barrel and head witch gives a squish of 1.3 but testing port timings I get 182 exh and 126 transfers does this seem low
The ts1 port heights are based on a 58/107 crank. To compensate for the 110 rod you need a 3mm Base packer. However, you have increased the stroke to 60mm so the piston crown would be 1mm below the bottom of the exhaust port; you've compensated for this by using a 2mm packer instead of a 3mm. The consequence of using a smaller packer are that you have reduced exhaust and transfer timings by about 4degrees.

So yes, they are lower than standard. Some people deliberately machine the cylinder Base to achieve what you have done. So maybe it's a good thing? Depends how "revvy" (real word?) you want your motor to be.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

Been over to rayspeed this morning dropped barrel of with Ben he is going to raise and slightly widen the exhaust port to pull it back inline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Strummer10

What's the opinion on using a base gasket and head gasket for the TS kit. Are people using pre-made gaskets OR just a sealant OR is belt and braces pre-formed gaskets with 'Thixofix' on the faces ?

Just thinking what would pass a 'leak down' test
boxofbits

I run a standard ts1 with after standard length crank 18 x 47 150 box ads 3 it been the best rally bike.used this set for years spot on for rallys been all over standard sil machined head spot no issues great mile munsher , no heat issues save your money.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information