TS1 225 Kits - advice please

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

I guess to stay smooth and keep revcs down would I go longer stroke and conrod
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

I've just updated my reed valve Rapido to 60mm stroke and 115 conrod and it's a smoother engine now. Remember you need the appropriate crown height piston (30mm instead of 39mm) to go with the longer rod (115/116mm, either will do)
AF Rayspeed do a nice light forged piston (Wossner) to do the job and they will also be able to supply a crank as the RB200 uses the longer length rod.
As originators of the TS1 kit they would be in an ideal position to give you advice on how to set it up (if you can get hold of them :lol: ).
Remember that some longer stroke cranks need a bit of machining to the crankcase for clearance of the rod at the bottom of the stroke, mine just needed a smidge taking off which i managed with a dremel.
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

So what exhaust you going for?
ForemanBob
Main scooter: GP RT230

Fit the longer conrod you need to use a reduced crown height piston too....
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

ForemanBob wrote:Fit the longer conrod you need to use a reduced crown height piston too....
Or a packer plate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Strummer10

Cheers Guys...............for the advice, yes wanna get this right when I do it. In terms of an exhaust I have a BGM clubman sitting in the garage but now your all gonna tell me it won't be any good if I go for the 60mm stroke, 115 conrod and 30mm Wossner piston ?

If I have to shelve the BGM it can go on another build for later next year................I was recommended 'Fat Mamba' or 'NK Road' but what ya think ?
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

May I just ask why the 58mm stroke 107mm rod configuration that the TS1 was designed to use doesn't meet your requirement? Having done thousands of reliable high speed miles on one, sprinted 1/4 miles on one and used one as a daily commuter, I'm wondering why it doesn't meet your needs?

Do you guys remember the old Scootering feature on lots of group 6 bikes, many years ago, when there was a whole range of weird and wonderful configurations? One of the most powerful bikes on the dyno was a pretty standard (compared to the others) TS1?

Then there was the feature on TS1 manifolds and reed blocks, in which the standard TS1 manifold and reeds were hardly bettered?

Get the pipe choice and gearing right on a standard TS1 and it'll hold its own with most of the other options out there.

Sure, time has not stood still but don't forget that many of today's 'improvements' will give you peak BHP at the cost of power spread, which may result in you ending up with a ride that less suits your intended use. If you're considering running it with a clubman then I'm assuming that peak BHP performance has never been your focus?

Just sayin'....
Strummer10

Adam, good point raised. I was indeed happy to go with the standard crank size at the start of the thought process, but the influence was put in my head whilst talking to a local scooterist who's a buff engine tuner and he mentioned inserting the 115mm conrod on a 60 stroke makes the scooter ride a bit smoother and less revvy for a touring set up. The chap in question rides up and down the UK and does all the europeon runs so has done the road testing bit......I think he's rebuilt he's TS 3 or 4 times to end up an this set up......(but only an opinion of course).

It then got me wondering whether that option might be worth a look for my own requirements. Added to this AFR also recommend the same set up as the better option, although an expansion pipe would be better than a clubman.

I guess ultimately if there was no notable difference between the two set ups i'd probably stick with the standard crank as I already have that in the scooter so would save cost and strip out time, although unless I can carefully dremel out the case to match the barrel, i'd have to whip the crank out to machine the case, after which a crank change makes a bit more sense..........

also considering casa 225 but extra cost and yet to be proven
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

^... good that you're considering options and whether you are reworking for any real benefit or simply spending money for following a trend. Don't get me wrong, there are lots of pros about piston swaps, rod changes, stroke increase, a change of pipe (note that some expansions are a complete waste of time, others are great, all depending on whether it suits the intended purpose).

The tuner giving you the advice will have come up with a combination that does exactly what he wants from it and it sounds as though he knows what he's doing and proves it with hours in the saddle and miles under him.... great stuff. I simply don't want you to think that his setup will be simply a load of bits bolted together, as I have no doubt that he's done a lot of setup and development work.

My main concern is that there are thousands of reliable mile munching standard TS1s out there that have been giving great service for decades, making the kit a legend and keeping it in production for so long. That should not be dismissed.

Adam
Strummer10

Hi Adam.....I guess if the benefit is marginal then i'd not be too bothered by it and would just stick with the standard crank. AND I have to steer clear of the danger of wanting too much out of a scooter as well, as I then enter the arena of just going and buying a motorcycle lol. Not that I wouldn't want a quicker scooter but there gets a stage where those little wheels can only do so much without the ride feeling a little worrying ...........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information