Reedspeed 5 plate clutch

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Padge
Main scooter: 1969 Lambretta gp

IT depends, if you're asking lambretta speedo speeds, then about 120mph ! :lol: :lol:
I've had around 82-85 mph (gps) from both my bikes flat out, but it aint about flat out speed, as people have pointed out on here before, plenty of people think/say their scooters will do 80, then stick a GPS on or a GPS app on their phone and get a bit of a shock as to how far their speedo's are out . A genuine 60 on a Lambretta feels fcukin quick.... a genuine 80 and yer arse is twitching like a rabbits nose !!
My TS1 is set up (allegedly) to be more of a sedate tourer,yet the power is instant, it will lift the front wheel in first and second gear with just a snap of the throttle, yet pulls like a train right through to well over 8,500 + rpm, but more importantly it will sit with modern day traffic and has plenty of overhead to overtake if/when needed
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

that sounds like the perfect set up we all strive for and spend £££££££££ to get lol
Padge

When my Imola needs a rebuild, I think I will throw a 60/110 crank in that and play around with packers to see if I can get similar results, coz as quick as it is, it's a bit sort of on/off the power, hit 5'500 rpm and it takes off like a bombs exploded behind you, yet under that its a bit, not exactly gutless, but would be nicer to bring the power band down a bit and as much fun as it is showing a lot of "big block" kits a clean pair of heels when you open it up, I much prefer the torque/power delivery of my TS1 much nicer round town and when yer on a run with people on lower powered machines the TS1 is actually the better bike to ride with them, yet when us "idiots" go out for a play it can be a different story :lol:

The day I got both bikes dyno'd my mate had his TS1 touring spec (built by a VERY well known tuner) on the dyno as well, his kicked out a shade over 25BHP, on the dyno they had very similar torque curves till just over 7000-7500 where his power tailed off but mine kept rising slightly, now that Might Be just down to the exhaust, I don't know, but on the road is a similar story, very little between them in the real world

I'll see if I can find my dyno sheets and post them along with my mates
shamrockexpress

Interesting reading Padge ,
I'm building a TS1 (cylinder is at chisel speed getting a FAST ROAD TUNE ) Martin is also profiling me a GT poqupine head matched to a 1mm ring quality piston, 60 x 110 crank , 34 vhsb with v-force reed block and spitting thru a franspeed supertourer exhaust, gp200 gearbox indian and probably 19x47 with a darryl taylor bearing kit , v4 bgm stator indian mid weight flywheel and kehper, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,i,m hoping a gps speed of at least 80, we've had martin cooks 205s and they would pull near 80 so heres hoping!!!!!!!!!!

ANY COMMENTS ON THE ABOVE SET-UP APPRECIATED...........I,M AFTER A FAST ROAD ENGINE F**k TOURING....
Padge

I don’t think you will be disappointed, that’s sounds like a sweet set up, it’s very very close to mine

TS1 kit, inlet feeds opened slightly, cases matched, boost port modified and slightly widened, exhaust opened and raised slightly, centre squish head machined/recessed (no head gasket) 60/110 AF crank (can’t remember what size base packer I ended up with), 1.2mm squish, modified Avanti piston from Ron Moss, V-force (think it’s a 4) tmx 35, Ramair through side panel, a BGM v3, mid weight AF flywheel, augusto 7000, same gearing as you’re planning, reedspeed 5 plate and a ( fcukin noisy) JL4 :lol:

As I said earlier, the top speed of both my GP’s is within an MPH or 2 of each other, it’s how they deliver the power that makes all the difference, they’re like chalk and cheese till about 6’000 rpm (ish) then both keep pulling till my arse says enough ! :oops:
garry inglis

It just shows you what a £38 5plate clutch with £14 mb springs can take its nice to have a 7 plate lth £450 or af 6plate £400 but for £55 you can still have a decent clutch and if using a bid front sprocket it takes the pressure of the clutch anyway
immylam

had one slipped with an RB225, changed plates & springs , still slipped, ok in a rapido 225 engine though.
cartmel808
Main scooter: 1975 Vespa Rally 200 Femsa

Padge wrote:Tough one that as you already have a screamer and a plodder....sorry tourer LOL
depends what you want, what carb/exhaust you thinking of ? you having the barrel "worked" or you leaving it standard ? is it going to be a rally bike or an everyday street screamer ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minority
Main scooter: Li230 S3

Just in the process of fitting a Readspeed 5 plate clutch myself and came up with a little problem.
I'm fitting it together with a ScootRS pressure plate to allow maximum clearance for no drag. Anyway having put it all together the clearances just weren't making sense, something was obviously wrong.
The crownwheel has the cutouts machined to allow the bottom plate to drop and I had checked that the plates dropped down nicely into the cutout, well at least my old plates did!

Old clutch plate in crownwheel:

I discovered that the new readspeed plates slid down the gaps fine, but didn't drop down into the cutout :?

Readspeed clutch plate in crownwheel:

When I measured the ears on the clutch plates, the readspeed ones were about 0.2mm bigger (bugger all really) and when I looked closely at the machine cutouts in the crownwheel they didn't go quite to the edge of the gaps (again only by a smidge).
I haven't decided yet whether to file the ears on the plate (the easy option) or try to machine out the cutouts in the crownwheel.
Just goes to show there's always something to catch you out :roll:
garry inglis

its only that first plate that will catch so easy to file it to fit and i would think a dremmel would round the slots in crownwheel let us no how you get on
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information