oiltech casing alterations

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

I wonder why

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
garry inglis

I've got 700 miles on the engine now and of to Scarborough on Saturday

garry inglis

Strummer10
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Special 225

garry inglis wrote:Hi the case was£350 including endplate from lambretta restore its a ts230 with a gt60/110 crank li150 gearbox 46/16 /4.9 porting to barrel head and barrel pinned as I used a 2.5 head packer and 2mm base packer and an ads5 road/ race exhaust with a 30 mm vhsh carb iam going to put it in my Spanish li150 which has a rt 195 in which goes really well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Garry how you finding the gearing and ride with your set up ?
garry inglis

Superb ride from tickover right through the rev range raising and widening exhaust port made a big difference that was thanks to Ben at rayspeed the reedspeed 5 plate kept slipping no matter what adjustment I tried so fitted a 6 plate cassette and spot on

hydra
Dealer

Sorry Garry for the problems you have had with your Casing conversion. We don't have the facility to pressure test Casings after converting them, so unfortunately, the first time they are tested is when the top end as been built, so with hindsight maybe just building the top end up and not all the engine may have saved a bit of time and effort. However, for our part we would have resolved any issues with your Casing, whatsoever. We pride ourselves on our after sales service, whether it be a Stator Plate, Exhaust, Bearing or one of our Tanks.....we do care. Maybe the first port of call would have been to ring me? We have had the odd problem with porosity before and resolved it.
To respond to the guy who says we have stopped doing the Casings....Yes we have stopped doing them, but for several reasons. Firstly I have got to say that there are literally hundreds of Casings that have left us and are still running in Lambretta's with no problems. Yes, some Casings we have had issues with, usually with trying to put weld onto poor Casings that are already porous! On top of this we have had to put up with waiting for machining services from a third party, which we have no control over the time frame involved in machining the Casings and hence people moaning at me for the time I've had their Casings. But lastly, I value my business and Customers, so the Casings have to stop, as I have no control over the quality of the Casings people send us. I am not a fly by night toe rag that just wants to grab your money and run, I pride myself on my service and so because I cannot guarantee the Casings, they have had to stop. On another note....the area where you have put the plastic metal is basically where weld is layered over the existing Casing and so shouldn't have leaked there, but that just highlights the inconsistency we have had to deal with.
Regards, Paul
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

Good reply, all be it a bit sad that you are no longer doing the casings (I have 2 on the bench I was going to get altered).
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Yes good reply just a shame he couldn't have posted it three months ago when Garry was having problems with his case. Could have saved him a shed load of hastle not to mention the £350 extra he had to fork out on another case... but hay ho such is life.

There was a discussion on FB about case conversions and Mark Broadhurst was saying that although his case conversion is not the cheapest at £350 it is finished correctly so you can't see any of the welding and also his don't leak.
coaster

I thought that was a brilliant reply from Oiltech, very honest and if a customer doesn't complain they can hardly be blamed for not putting it right. As for MB being faultless?? Good though he is, I would doubt Mark has never had a porous weld, invisibly mended or not. I have just found welds leaking in 2 places on a BGM clubman flange and there was nothing visibly wrong with the welding.
drunkmunkey6969
Main scooter: '69 Lambretta GP

Scooterdude wrote:Yes good reply just a shame he couldn't have posted it three months ago when Garry was having problems with his case. Could have saved him a shed load of hastle not to mention the £350 extra he had to fork out on another case... but hay ho such is life.

Do we know when Paul actually read this thread? I certainly don't. Was it 3 months ago or 3 days ago? There's no obligation for a dealer to monitor forums and Facebook for problems they are unaware of is there?

I think Paul has a valid point in suggesting the first port of call for any customer with a faulty product is to actually ring the dealer involved.
See our YouTube scooter channel for Tech-help: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheScooterFactory/videos
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information