oiltech casing alterations

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

What pipe is that Garry?
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

It's the ads5 road race it works pretty much the same as a franspeed race
garry inglis

Well it leaked like a siv all round the welding on the top and bottom I've spent £2500 on this engine and am resorting to £5 worth of Jb weld to try and sort it out fuxking ridiculous ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nellyboyo
Main scooter: Lambretta

Oh dear. Surely you can complain ?
garry inglis

whats the point ill just have to fix it ill try jb plus some epoxy i think and hopefully that sorts it out, it just pisses you of when you put quality parts and time in and check and double check
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

hydra wrote:Hi,
Maybe we should accept that it isn't the welding that creates a porous Casing here. If you look at some of the photo's, especially of inside the Crank area and cylinder base Gasket area, there are blow holes where there hasn't actually been any welding done, add to this 50 years of petrol/oil soaked Casings and i reckon it's an up hill task to weld perfect. Adding more and more layers of weld does seal the Casing better and gives strength to the Pins that are welded into the casing for the new stud holes and re welding blow holes after machining could cause issues with heat distortion, as prior to welding, a steel plug is fitted into the Casing to help stop this, although the Mag transfer port always moves and as a consequence the Mag flange/transfer port area is machined also. As a note Indian Casings weld up better, whether that's because of the Aluminium casting or because they have not had as much petrol/oil, I don't know. Also, as previously mentioned we do also now sand blast and wash with Acetone prior to welding, but even this can't reach into 50 years of soaked Casings and so as soon as welding starts, the Casing turns into a volcano and the gases can create blow holes. So if anyone can get a Crystal ball and see if there Casing is one of these....don't send it. You wouldn't believe the state of some of the Casings that arrive, some look like they have just been removed from a swamp, some have all the studs and Bearings in, etc, etc.
The choice of whether or not you send a Casing or not is yours, but if you want perfection....buy a new Casing, simple.
Thank you, Paul - Oiltek
Thats the best argument I've heard for not having an Innocenti case converted by anybody.
nellyboyo
Main scooter: Lambretta

Yep I sympathize mate . Was looking at doing a similar conversion on a block I've picked up .
Will be taking it to a local engineering firm to see what they think next week . I need more gasket face as well as the studs modifying.
We use Belzona in work and that goes like steel if mixed correctly just as a side note. Good luck
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

That's shocking! Looks terrible and leaks like a sieve, I feel for you dude and wonder if I had mine done by that other geezer for£380 I'd have gotten a much different job?
As you've already spent 2.5k would it not be a better option instead of f@@king about with jb weld, that may or may not work to just move it on, put it behind you and get a 200 case from AF or Harry Barlow for around £350?
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

That's got to smart. In the long run you'd might have been better off going for one of RT's new casings.
garry inglis

I'll see if I can fix but no matter how you look at it your bodging what should have been a normal build and to be honest I've lost faith in the casing and on every run out you'll be wondering if it's going to go bang

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information