Ultimate Engine Spec - Based on New Casa Case

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Major Hassle
Main scooter: GP 225 Rapido

Looking to build next year - probably to support the new SSR250 cylinder kit when available. What would you get either as a cylinder kit or engine component and why?
a.j

Depends on what you want your set up for?. Personally I fail to understand why fellas spend a kings ransom on engines when they never travel further than the county boundary. In my view, the bigger and faster engine, the further you should ride otherwise its an opportunity wasted. I'd probably use an RB kit 230/240 or an Avanti. Great fun and if set up for touring great stuff.
Arcadia

a.j wrote:Personally I fail to understand why fellas spend a kings ransom on engines when they never travel further than the county boundary.
Personally I agree with you, and if anything I don't even think it matters how far you are travelling. How many engines have done thousands of miles each year on just a set of SIL 200 casings and a Stage 4 kit or a TS1? You want more grunt, get and RB250 with a touring tune and tour pipe. First and foremost, it doesn't matter how much you spend on a set of casings that alone is not going to improve reliability or performance is it? The sellers of these casings will want you to have their new end plates, gear boxes, layshafts, hubs, mag housings, cranks, chain tensioners, cylinder kits, cowlings, carbs, ignitions, exhausts etc etc and depending which brand you buy the costs could be what £6k - £12k??????!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'd rather have a 30bhp engine in with a touring tune and touring exhaust, with off the shelf parts that don't cost mega bucks, which i can pickup at any store in the UK or likely and rally parts stall if i need to, than to pay ten grand for a load of fancy stuff which has no more guarantees of working or being more reliable than any other well know/widely used/well tested and established component on the market.
a.j

A fella I know was bragging about his top spec balls out speed engine. I offered him a race against my trusty cast 225, 100 mile round trip and he bottled it. If he had anything about him he would've pissed it to be honest, but I knew he'd never been further than 40 miles from home and certainly never on a motorway. It doesn't bother me usually but if he wants to wave his dick about then lets see some action! (I said that out loud didn't I)....
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

I fail to make sence of anything said above , if you want a road tune /touring motor then thats what you build , if however you want a high spec , high revving quick/fast race type motor built for 1/4 mile sprinting , top speed events , circuit racing or just thrashing about then that is something totally different and not meant to do high mileage because it simply wont last that long or need regular maintenence . If people wish to build these types of engines and push the limits of speed and power then the more the better in my option .
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
a.j

fairspares wrote:I fail to make sence of anything said above , if you want a road tune /touring motor then thats what you build , if however you want a high spec , high revving quick/fast race type motor built for 1/4 mile sprinting , top speed events , circuit racing or just thrashing about then that is something totally different and not meant to do high mileage because it simply wont last that long or need regular maintenence . If people wish to build these types of engines and push the limits of speed and power then the more the better in my option .

As I stated. It's only my opinion. In my view why would you buy a Ferrari to pop down the shops once a week?....
coaster

a.j wrote:.................. why would you buy a Ferrari to pop down the shops once a week?....
I think you are assuming a certain level of logic in our decisions, if any of us applied logic we would not be rattling around on our ancient hair driers ;)
a.j

coaster wrote:
a.j wrote:.................. why would you buy a Ferrari to pop down the shops once a week?....
I think you are assuming a certain level of logic in our decisions, if any of us applied logic we would not be rattling around on our ancient hair driers ;)

:lol:

I'm wearing my sensible pants far too often these days.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

The debate above is about the definition of 'Ultimate Engine', rather than the components used. Ultimate touring engine, ultimate race engine, ultimate sprint engine, ultimate economy engine... or other?

Adam
mick1
Main scooter: Li Avanti 225

I think we're all reading the opening post differently :?

I'm taking it that op is intending buying a SSR250 when available but wants to put a kit together before then.....so what components should go into the build (crank, clutch, etc) and then what kit to use in the short term.....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information