Gori GP50 or JL Snail ?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Cheers for that, but look how bad the coating is and how easily and quickly it burns off.
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

Scooterdude wrote:Cheers for that, but look how bad the coating is and how easily and quickly it burns off.
Just like most coatings.
Scooterdude

soosh wrote:
Scooterdude wrote:Cheers for that, but look how bad the coating is and how easily and quickly it burns off.
Just like most coatings.
No not like "most coatings" I sprayed my Scootopia clubman back in May last year with 1200 degree paint and it still looks like new, the lacquer on the Gori looks as though it burns right off going by that video.

My plan was to strip it and have it nickel plated (I think someone did a BGM the same way a couple of years ago) but now have been advised the acid will dissolve the internal silencing packing so am thinking of having the down pipe plated and the box high temp powder coated.
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

that was mine and the packing is still in place. isn't the packing fibre glass? acid won't touch that unless it's hydrofluoric acid
soosh

Scooterdude wrote:
soosh wrote:
Just like most coatings.
No not like "most coatings" I sprayed my Scootopia clubman back in May last year with 1200 degree paint and it still looks like new, the lacquer on the Gori looks as though it burns right off going by that video.

My plan was to strip it and have it nickel plated (I think someone did a BGM the same way a couple of years ago) but now have been advised the acid will dissolve the internal silencing packing so am thinking of having the down pipe plated and the box high temp powder coated.
The actual main box lasts well. There are a few in our club who have them. The u bend will probably burn off like "most coatings". I've sprayed my whole pipe in BBQ paint in black as I like black pipes. The pipes are worth the money though. I'm sure all will be ok.
Scooterdude

Such a shame at that price point that they don't make them from stainless.

But I have come up with an answer if I find the packing will definitely get damaged, and that is to weld a washer in each end then remove it once done.

Hendy, I do like that finish but by local plater wants £80 a bit more than you paid I think? I'll have to see if I can chip him a bit.
soosh

Why don't you get The u bend ceramic coated and then spray the main box with a decent paint?
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

Scooterdude wrote:Such a shame at that price point that they don't make them from stainless.

But I have come up with an answer if I find the packing will definitely get damaged, and that is to weld a washer in each end then remove it once done.

Hendy, I do like that finish but by local plater wants £80 a bit more than you paid I think? I'll have to see if I can chip him a bit.
Aye, I only paid £50 but that wasn't through the books. I generally pay £20 for a bag of bits.

£80 seems like a fair price to me if it's got an invoice and especially if it's posted.
Scooterdude

No just had a ring round and no one else would touch it and the one that quoted £80 has dug his heels in and won't budge on the price so it looks like I've got to bite my lip and just get it done, oh and I asked about the chemical dissolving the wadding and was told it would be OK as their tanks are fibre glass lined and they'd never had any problems before.

That price is drop off/pick up and for cash, turn around 1week.
Scooterdude

Well the euthoria of unwrapping my new Gori GP 50 was short lived. I should have saw it as a bad omen when I checked my tracking info only to find parcel farce couldn't deliver as I was no longer residing at that address!! So anyway after some time spent on the phone it turns out that despite my address being correct on the order Riminni had not only got my house number wrong by over a hundred houses they had got my name wrong as well!

So anyway just being trying unsuccessfully to fit it, what a load of b@11@x. Firstly I try to fit the down pipe to the cylinder and I can't get one of the manifold nuts on, the pipe is at such an angle it touches the stud, kind of sorted that now, (forget about those lovely long brass nuts I bought off of K2 customs at Burton Brewery).

With the down pipe fitted I notice the conector that joins the silencer is cocked up at an angle, try to fit silencer and it's way out, so I cut the side case bracket off the silencer push the pipe on only to find it hits the side case and the tail pipe hits the back tyre! So tomorrow I've got to cut the down pipe in half and shorten by 25mm so I can get the length right turn it a few degrees and reweld, weld a 20mm strip in the side case bracket that I've hack sawd off to lower that so the pipe doesent fowl the side case, heat up and bend the tail pipe so that doesent hit the back tyre, and somehow alter the end can so it doesent foul the chain case.

Oh and that shite that Rimini spout about the tail pipe being increased to 25mm well it's identical to the Scootopia one at 22mm.

I just wish whoever made this pipe had used a jig like all the other pipe makers rather than rely on the end user to sort their mess for them.
Oh and the quality of the welding is deplorable it looks like some of that shite that comes out of India when they run out of gas but carry on regardless!!

Anyway we'll get it sorted but at over £300 I bloody well shouldn't have to....

On the plus side though, they did send me a very nice t-shirt (and surprisingly it fits spot on! More than can be said for the pipe)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information