tyre fitting split rims the right way

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

What rims are you using? They should fit perfectly. I bought some new ones recently and they didn't....
mr mugello

Scootopia rims. Someone put my mind at rest. Am I overdoing it trying to get the valve completely through. Never bothered in the past. MB mentions to cut a semi circle of tyre edge away from valve, but what is the amount to remove ?
mr mugello

Feel a right tw@7 ringing up the supplier to ask how to fit a tyre !
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

mr mugello wrote:Scootopia rims. Someone put my mind at rest. Am I overdoing it trying to get the valve completely through. Never bothered in the past. MB mentions to cut a semi circle of tyre edge away from valve, but what is the amount to remove ?
The valve stem doesn't need to be right through,just enough to be able to clip the pump on.When its through just enough,rest the top half of the rim on the tyre,tube and bottom rim.Push the rim so that the studs on the bottom rim just protude through the top rim,fasten the nuts on the studs just enough to hold them.Put just enough air in the inner tube so that it doesn't get trapped by the two halves of the rim,tighten the two halve of the rim and pump up the inner tube so that the tyre seats,let the air out,remove the nuts and fit the washers,now re-fit the nuts and tighten.Fit the valve to the stem and pump to the correct pressure,job done.
mr mugello

Cheers for the detailed reply mate.
ktmh5
Main scooter: GP225 Mugello

HxPaul wrote:
mr mugello wrote:Scootopia rims. Someone put my mind at rest. Am I overdoing it trying to get the valve completely through. Never bothered in the past. MB mentions to cut a semi circle of tyre edge away from valve, but what is the amount to remove ?
The valve stem doesn't need to be right through,just enough to be able to clip the pump on.When its through just enough,rest the top half of the rim on the tyre,tube and bottom rim.Push the rim so that the studs on the bottom rim just protude through the top rim,fasten the nuts on the studs just enough to hold them.Put just enough air in the inner tube so that it doesn't get trapped by the two halves of the rim,tighten the two halve of the rim and pump up the inner tube so that the tyre seats,let the air out,remove the nuts and fit the washers,now re-fit the nuts and tighten.Fit the valve to the stem and pump to the correct pressure,job done.
Just to add to this excellent reply, I push the tube in with four wooden lolly sticks to avoid nipping it and remove them as I tighten the nuts just at the point where they start to grip.

Rich'
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

I favour Magnum lollie sticks myself.
ktmh5
Main scooter: GP225 Mugello

Doom Patrol wrote:I favour Magnum lollie sticks myself.
Ah you're a Tom Selleck Fan?
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

They've got to be the proper sticks for the job. :-)
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

....my ones that didn't fit were Scootopia rims.... :?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information