tyre fitting split rims the right way

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Shipleystevep
Main scooter: Lambretta

My scootopia rims were fine, fitted just like hxpaul described.
Hardest bit was getting s83s (for a factory look) on. They're tight as ...
paul d
Main scooter: T5 172 Tv 240

I had this issue before with tubes I bought from a local motorcycle shop. The tubes were designed for a rim where the valve exits from the middle of the rim and not from one side as it does on lambretta rims. Put the lot together but even with high pressure the valve stem still remained at the wrong angle because the tyre bead wouldn't let it seat properly. The only solution was to buy a set of mypol tubes. They have the valve fitted slightly off centre and have worked perfectly. Maybe the tubes will work fine with the valve stem not seated properly but I wouldn't trust them.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Doom Patrol wrote:They've got to be the proper sticks for the job. :-)
A credit card does the job better. 8-)
mr mugello

Timbo wrote:
mr mugello wrote:Scootopia rims. Someone put my mind at rest. Am I overdoing it trying to get the valve completely through. Never bothered in the past. MB mentions to cut a semi circle of tyre edge away from valve, but what is the amount to remove ?

....my ones that didn't fit were Scootopia rims.... :?
Did you get it sorted ? What part of fitment was the problem?
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

There were gaps between the rims when the two halves were put together resulting in me having a puncture. They exchanged them.
mr mugello

They sent me out a replacement for one of me rims due to a couple of studs not sitting flush with the surface. What looked like Metal swarf under stud.
ktmh5
Main scooter: GP225 Mugello

corrado wrote:
Doom Patrol wrote:They've got to be the proper sticks for the job. :-)
A credit card does the job better. 8-)
Hell the wife doesn't let me loose with one of those, :lol: :lol: :lol:
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Look for plastic business cards in the "Ads boards" at Supermarkets, always take a few as they come in handy for different jobs, fitting the rubber panel buffers comes to mind.
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

I'll see if I can help Mr Mugello

This is my method and it works for, no doubt other people's will be different.
On both front and rear the valve is exiting on the left hand side of the rim, we all know that presumably, anyway looking down on your tyre as if it was rolling down the road in the correct rotation of travel offer up the half rim, with the valve hole to the left hand side of the tyre.then what I do is lay the tyre and rim down with the half rim and tyre facing upwards then stand on the rim pressing the rim into the tyre.
This is when I put the tube in, feeding it in you may need to let most of the air out at this point but not completely. Then offer up the other half one nut at a time only screwing each one on its thread a few turns only! Then it's gives movement for getting the rest on. Each nut you put on though just push the tube down into the tyre so as not to snag the tube, with something not sharp though. Once all on and not nipped up, inflate the tube ever so slightly thus hopefully pulling the tube away from the two halves of the rim and not getting a pinch flat. Then fully torque down the nuts and hopefully job done.

Hope that helps in some small way. Best of luck with it

Cgt75b.
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

corrado wrote:Look for plastic business cards in the "Ads boards" at Supermarkets, always take a few as they come in handy for different jobs, fitting the rubber panel buffers comes to mind.

........I was told you have a large collection of phone box ones as well...... :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information