Monza 225 tuning

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Bensmith225
Main scooter: Lambretta gp monza 225

What improvements can be made to my monza cylinder? Is it worth opening out the inlet so I can fit the ts1 v force and opening up the ports more. if so does anyone have photos of the modifications
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

First thing would be to question what the setup is (standard kit? spec of cylinder head and squish? carb? pipe? gearing? ignition? etc.) so that people know what you've got. Is the setup working in balance with the various components that make up your configuration or are there some 'easy wins' that might get all you want from the kit in its current specification? What do you want from it; rally work 2-up, centre of town work only, sprinting, touring, general purpose, etc?

There is no point is anyone answering to say that you need to change X, Y or Z to turn it into a 30 BHP sprint machine, then to have to turn around and say that you weight 6 stone, never go 2 up and want to tour to Euro Lambretta next year on the back roads... or vice versa.

Bikes and motors are normally about 2-3 configuration steps away from doing exactly what you want from a bike, without making any changes to the porting. Typically, people 'tune' kits to get more from them but only increase BHP at the same time as narrowing the powerband, then find that the bike is less likely to pull the gearing, power delivery no longer suits the pipe... or the corrected compression... or... or... or... etc, and find that 'tuning' has made the issues worse.

So, what configuration is your motor now and what do you want from it in the future?

Adam
Bensmith225

As far as I know it's a standard kit It's got Indian gp200 gearing with a 19t front sprocket and I'm running a 30mm phbh and a dj exhaust. I've got an nk really exhaust that I will be putting on next week. I'm only light and very rarely go two up and it's mostly used for going to rally's and blasting about mid week. It performs well I just think it lacks the acceleration (mainly due to the exhaust) I was thinking of changing to li150 gearing if I see a box at the right price because I prefer the ratios. being new to this kit I would just like some feedback on what performance people have gained from various modifications before I choose the route I wanna go down
mawso

I've a V1 Monza 225 cylinder sat in a box never run, but know of somebody with same V1 cylinder both of them were picked up from a Cambridge clear out of old stock sale. Not sure what version Tino is up to now? But Ralph Saxelby has done a lot of work on the other V1 to add a 3rd transfer with an extra casing transfer, opened up inlet for a TS1 reed to fit and various other tuning tweeks, it's paired with a 60mm crank, on his rev counter he is making seriously fast speeds for a scooter. I know the speed he quoted and it was 2 up back from Brid'. I'm not going to quote it here as people will think it's a wishful fantasy, but it's reportedly got torque and is capable of some serious speeds on 10" wheels.
Bensmith225

I think mine is an earlier version too but that's interesting. I've been told they can produce some serious power without the need for welding but there isn't much information about the kits
mawso

If I could upload pics from my phone I could put a photo of my Monza barrel sat next to a V1 Mugello 225 showing spigots and transfers, Muggy has been further tuned by Chiselspeed but the standard Monza transfers are still bigger and have loads of room to go further and a flat blanking area under inlet for an extra transfer to be cut.
ricalnic
Main scooter: Lambretta GP Monza 225

Might be cheaper to just trade up on your exhaust first, luv my franspeed race on my Monza, and I'm the wrong side of 18st ;-(
corrado
Dealer

I'd try it with the NK rally exhaust [if you've already got one] before touching anything else. It should pull the GP box with 19 x 47, but for best acceleration it'll work better with the original 18 x 47. It doesn't always come at the expense of the top end as if your gearing is too tall it'll stop you from revving out in top gear.
Bensmith225

Yeah I've already got the nk and it's going on soon, the clutch has started to slip so I've got a new 5 plate to go into it too. Also thinking about a flat slide carb to make it more responsive but I'll wait till one comes up at the right price. its eventually gonna have the li gearing so I'm not too fussed about ratios at the moment I may try the original front sprocket on though
corrado
Dealer

Bensmith225 wrote: Also thinking about a flat slide carb to make it more responsive but I'll wait till one comes up at the right price.
Darrell Taylor is getting big BHP from 225 Monza [not Super Monza] and using a Mikuni TMX27.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information