Lambretta series 3 fork judder when braking

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
watto66

Hello All ,

Having a bit of a problem with front forks juddering when braking on my LI special , its a drum brake. Friends have advised its probably the steering bearings need tightening ( hit a pothole on the IOW ) I have the headset off and to be fair the two locking plates/apparatus ( one on top bearings and one you tighten with the slots in it ) seemed very tight . I have retightened them and I cant feel any play forwards or backwards in forks and they turn freely. I haven't had chance to try it yet if I still have problems with a judder when I brake any ideas what else it could be . Bike has previously passed MOT with just an advisory so I don't think the forks are bent .

Any ideas would be appreciated .
essexgp
Main scooter: Indian Gp200 Indian Gp Cutdown

Have you checked wether there is actually any play in the bearings? If you take it off the stand and push it forward whilst holding the front brake on you can feel for any movement by putting your fingers on the gap between the headset and the legshields, if it moves you need to readjust the nut on top of the fork

Hope this helps
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Did you see if there was any play in the forks(bearings) before you retightened the locking nuts.If so and there was play and now there isn't any,I think you may have found and fixed the problem.
shocky

Check your wheel nuts are tight same as your rim nuts also check the backplate locating slot isn't loose on the right hand fork link
We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm
Daggs

And failing that. Check the condition of the brake shoes and make sure there is not a build up of dust in there.
watto66

Thanks for your help
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information