Race Tour Pistons

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Hotdog

Did the MB race tour pistons (made in UK ones) have problems with its ring pegs, or was it just those supplied with the RT kits ?
Toot-oasc
Main scooter: Lambretta

Hotdog wrote:Did the MB race tour pistons (made in UK ones) have problems with its ring pegs, or was it just those supplied with the RT kits ?
I had issues with a Race Tour piston loosing a ring peg but I got told that it was because a certain dealer wasn't personally able to stand over me at every petrol station to make sure I was adding my two stroke oil in the correct mixture (I still have the email...).

Strange though, after I spoke with other Lambretta riders it became apparent that ring pegs coming out of Race Tour pistons had happened to them. Obviously we're clearly all not mixing our two stroke oil correctly then?
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

There is a face book page dedicated to the RT problems, had a few posts today as well!
Eibar
Main scooter: Eibar TS1 1966

mate of mine showed me his 3 racetour pistons all with failed pegs. all ridden fast but not excessive miles but all failed he's now gone wossner.
potato
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Makes you wonder why RT just didn't change over to Wossner rather than all this faff with having new ones made and tested etc.
Padge
Main scooter: 1969 Lambretta gp

I recently bought another Italian GP with a "no expense spared" TS1 engine in it, although it went well, I knew there was more to be had out of it so pulled it to bits to A: check it over and for piece of mind (bearings/seals etc) and B: do a bit of porting on the cylinder to try and get a bit more power
To say i'm glad I pulled a perfectly good engine to bits is an understatement !! upon inspecting everything I noticed one of the ring pegs missing, I think the only thing that's saved the engine was the ring was "gummed up" and stuck in the ring groove in the piston, had it not have been, it would/could have spun round and bang would go a £400 cylinder
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

I've been trialling for a year without problems a new piston they were going to produce to replace the ones in the RT kit, my pegs had gone North. I think there was a problem with that manafacturer and someone else is now making them and due out soon......
Lamaddict

Thought is was only the RT 195 pistons that were failing?
Timbo
Main scooter: SX200 and GP230 RT

Nope..
soosh
Main scooter: GP RS200 Iron barrel

Toot-oasc wrote:
Hotdog wrote:Did the MB race tour pistons (made in UK ones) have problems with its ring pegs, or was it just those supplied with the RT kits ?
I had issues with a Race Tour piston loosing a ring peg but I got told that it was because a certain dealer wasn't personally able to stand over me at every petrol station to make sure I was adding my two stroke oil in the correct mixture (I still have the email...).

Strange though, after I spoke with other Lambretta riders it became apparent that ring pegs coming out of Race Tour pistons had happened to them. Obviously we're clearly all not mixing our two stroke oil correctly then?
I used to go all over the over the country on a high revving T5 on any oil I could afford being on £60 a week,used anything until I could afford just a basic semi synthetic oil.no problem. Didn't think oil will loosen ring pegs.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information