Race Tour Pistons

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

Hotdog wrote:Did the MB race tour pistons (made in UK ones) have problems with its ring pegs, or was it just those supplied with the RT kits ?

I have a RT 64mm piston in my SR cylinder with about 3400 miles on it over the last few years. No issues.

The RT195 kit I run has about 800 miles on it, again no issues.

I had a customers RT225 heat seize due to an ignition drift problem.

Apart from the one failure I've built multiple motors (195 and 225) and have not had any come back.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

i also have a rt195 with 2000 miles on built jan 15 and its a superb kit never let me down i also built my mates rt195 he has about 1200 miles no problems unlike my cassa ss 200 witch just seized solid with 400 miles on now thats a piece of shite
jason frost
Dealer

All the ones I've built have been fine so far. I run a tuned RT 225 on my own bike , just had it to bits and it's fine.
Lambretta Sash
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta TV 230

Never had a problem with ring pegs to date, built many rt195 and 225 kits including the 27hp motor that's been together 3yrs now.
I know of a buy that's had two kits go on pegs the second was a replacement for 1st kit.
Maybe it's how there built or I've been lucky
kejj

All rt195 kits in my town have failed on ring pegs. Last one this summer. No rt225 have been affected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ulyssescale

I had a top ring pin go on my RT225. Strangely, it disappeared through the exhaust port (likely) and the piston ring rotated 90 degrees, back-and-forth, until it dug out a perfect square of the barrel coating. I would say it was one of the strangest things I've ever seen. And the engine still ran very well. The only reason the failure was found was because the top end was being pulled to fix a leak at barrel base. The cylinder was returned for repair. MB was as nice as he could be about it, but it seems unfair to make it sound as if MB is personally responsible. Failures happen. It is being repaired and I'm confident I'll be just as happy with it post-repair as I was before it failed.

I had an identical RT225 kit tuned by MB as well. I sent the piston away to have the top pin removed and replaced with a welded-in pin. Cost US$140, but I'm fine with it. I much prefer doing more riding than complaining.
A chicken ain't nothing but a bird.
Toot-oasc
Main scooter: Lambretta

ulyssescale wrote: The cylinder was returned for repair. MB was as nice as he could be about it, but it seems unfair to make it sound as if MB is personally responsible. Failures happen. It is being repaired and I'm confident I'll be just as happy with it post-repair as I was before it failed.

I much prefer doing more riding than complaining.
You've had a level of customer service that I, and I know lots of others, haven't been offered when ring pens have failed on these pistons.

Maybe the message has finally sunk in that treating your customers like they are sh*t off your shoe doesn't help maintain repeat business?

I like nothing better than riding rather than complaining, however when large scale failures are occurring on a specific part you would expect a product recall, not to blame your customers with feeble excuses such as mixing oil....

Just setting out my own personal experience, I'm sure others can speak of their own experiences.
ulyssescale

There have been failures of nearly every modern kit manufactured in tge past 10 years.

Remember the Mugello failures?
Remember the Rb failures?
There seemed also to be some Casa SS failures, but scant info was available on the usual channels.

I've presently got $1200 in useless BGM cranks simply because I can't figure out who to return them to. There are are serial numbers on cranks and on boxes and yet I've got to prove where I bought them. AF Rb cranks twist on anyone? I've got two!

Version 1? Version 2? Version 3? Version 4? Which one do you have? Is it on the box but not on the parts? Is the picture in the website different than the product received? Is it being made to be confusing because a manufacturer can't afford to reabsorb the cost of returning and remanufacturing a bunch of gear spread out all over the world and they hope it is just such a confusing mess no one notices?

I don't have any answers. My honesty and sincerity manifests itself in the money I've worked a 14-hour shift to pay for it all. At the end of the day I simply hope to not feel like a fool when I look at myself in the mirror.
A chicken ain't nothing but a bird.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

What's up with the BGM cranks?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information