Timing question

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Shipleystevep
Main scooter: Lambretta

I'm restoring a 69 GP125, just putting it back together and aim was to do a "factory restoration", I'm leaving it on 6 volts on points.
Where should I set the timing? With modern unleaded I'm guessing somewhere around 19 degrees????
Daggs

That's where I would and indeed do set it.
Morgan
Main scooter: T5 Vespa Mk1

19 might be ok for running round town but if you intend running it for long periods i'd go to 16/17.
Lamaddict

I'd set the timing to standard 23 or whatever, you're not revving it high etc. IMO you only need to mess with the timing if you've a high revving scoot.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

isnt std 21 deg on gp
C’est la vie
Lamaddict

^ agree with that.
Shipleystevep

Thanks.....
My mugellos are set at 17 degrees, I thought 19 would be the right compromise. It's still all standard all I've changed are bearings, seals and new rings. Book says 21, I'll try 19 first and see.

Steve
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

I cannot see the sense in not fitting electronic ignition because you can make it look the same with a look alike rectifier and coil. The engine will not be exactly as it came out the factory anyway because you are changing the timing.
Shipleystevep

Don't want electronic, got that on my others. And btw not without failures either. Just want to keep this 6 volts and points.
So question was, with unleaded what's the best timing setting?
Cheers steve
Lamaddict

My DL 125 still runs on points but I've put new ones in, together with a new condenser. The lights aren't great but nothing wrong with points. It's also set to 21 and hasn't caused any problems. Like I say, if your not running to 9k revs etc why bother setting the timing lower, you'll just slow the scoot down for no good reason. I get the idea of a lower setting if you are doing high revs but that's an advantage of running a variatronic stator or mapped CDI and even on tuned scoots you could be running at 21 at 6k revs with that technology.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information