Change spark plug? 8 to 7??

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
bazza3004

correct on ngk the higher the number the cooler the plug
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

It's always confusing though. Generally speaking on a hotter engine you need a cooler plug. It doesn't mean you need a hotter plug for the higher temperature.
Toot-oasc
Main scooter: Lambretta

Apologies, stand corrected, the hotter the engine runs (i.e. hard motorway riding) the higher number of NGK plug you should look to be using. With Champion, the lower number of plug.

The engine runs hotter, not necessarily the plug.
GP240

As Toot says,

Champion N3 for Motorway/N4 for town.
NGK B9ES M-way/B7ES for town.

I've had a lot of trouble with NGK's packing up in the past, no warning just cut out which is no good when on M-way or in town. Changed to Champion last few years and no issues.
Old Lambretta's never die, they get tuned..................
Toot-oasc
Main scooter: Lambretta

GP240 wrote: I've had a lot of trouble with NGK's packing up in the past, no warning just cut out which is no good when on M-way or in town. Changed to Champion last few years and no issues.
There was talk of dodgy batches of NGK plugs being sold through auction sites a while back. Always wise to buy things like plugs from a reputable source, who should offer to take them back and replace them if they fail.
alanscottj
Main scooter: Lambretta GP SS250 Casa

Cheers guys, have put a 7 in and she is running great, will check after a few miles and see what it looks like :D
Lambretta Series 2 Rat - RB260, SuperTourer, Cyclone 5 gearbox 😎👍
ktmh5
Main scooter: GP225 Mugello

Toot-oasc wrote:
GP240 wrote: I've had a lot of trouble with NGK's packing up in the past, no warning just cut out which is no good when on M-way or in town. Changed to Champion last few years and no issues.
There was talk of dodgy batches of NGK plugs being sold through auction sites a while back. Always wise to buy things like plugs from a reputable source, who should offer to take them back and replace them if they fail.
I bought some NGK's of a dodgy guy with a bald head and he swapped them for me, no trouble ;)

Rich'
ktmh5

GP240 wrote:As Toot says,

Champion N3 for Motorway/N4 for town.
NGK B9ES M-way/B7ES for town.

I've had a lot of trouble with NGK's packing up in the past, no warning just cut out which is no good when on M-way or in town. Changed to Champion last few years and no issues.
Dave you have got your comparisons wrong there mate, N2 is equal to B9's, N3 equal to B8's and N4 equal to B7's. On Champion you subtract the number from 11 to equate the NGK's.

Rich'
GP240

Haha, cheers Rich, I was only indicating Champs an NGK no's for fast an slow use, never bothered with an 8es, but I only use N3c's hmmm.

Are you doin Brid pal.
Old Lambretta's never die, they get tuned..................
ktmh5

GP240 wrote:Haha, cheers Rich, I was only indicating Champs an NGK no's for fast an slow use, never bothered with an 8es, but I only use N3c's hmmm.

Are you doin Brid pal.
Defo, see you there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information