What is the best Auto advance for my set up

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
olliewtf
Main scooter: Lambretta Li S3

http://www.scooterlab.uk/readspeed-8-st ... etta-tech/

Sorry buddy, but I knew I couldnt have had it wrong all this time!
olliewtf

coaster wrote:
olliewtf wrote:.................Seriously though - I feel I have bags of torque waiting to be unleashed now hahaha
I hope so or it'll be me looking stupid, hopefully an expert can confirm.....where's that Eden when you need him ;)
So just to concur, as my previous post, the readspeed CDI does in fact ADVANCE timing from the given stator static timing...

But hey, we're essentially all jut hobbyists delving into the fantasy world of (for us old skool - out dated - lambretta riders) ignition gadgets...

Still though. I am seriously thinking of upgrading to a Kheper at some point. Great tool that is.
Darrell Taylor
Dealer
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA

??? is an ignition curve required ,,,,if the mid range jetting is over rich then burning it off with extra advance will clean it up and improve for sure but could static timing have worked as well with the mid range jetting leaned off ,,
i find ignition curves quite often cure other related issues like poor combustion from poor head design or bad transition from off pipe to on pipe from various pipe designs out there that leave that "no mans land" dip in the midrange ,,a clubman for example should never need an ignition curve as dont many pipes ,, ? how often does an ignition module/dyno time or road testing get factored into the cost of an exhaust upon purchase.
feel free to use this link to contact me on facebook and like it(if u like it)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taylor-T ... 8819767924
coaster

olliewtf wrote:
coaster wrote:
olliewtf wrote:.................Seriously though - I feel I have bags of torque waiting to be unleashed now hahaha
I hope so or it'll be me looking stupid, hopefully an expert can confirm.....where's that Eden when you need him ;)
So just to concur, as my previous post, the readspeed CDI does in fact ADVANCE timing from the given stator static timing...

But hey, we're essentially all jut hobbyists delving into the fantasy world of (for us old skool - out dated - lambretta riders) ignition gadgets...

Still though. I am seriously thinking of upgrading to a Kheper at some point. Great tool that is.
I'd still like a grown up to confirm one way or another but there is nothing in the website or Scooterlab that suggests it will advance beyond the static setting :? My head is hurting now, I'm going to bed ;)
Darrell Taylor
Dealer
Main scooter: LAMBRETTA

on an adjustable ignition box a new selected curve can be done in seconds yet its results can be as comparable as dropping a main jet 2 sizes a needle 2 clips , a pilot jet size down, a slide change and atomiser change all in a flick of a switch, most would be shy of such a jetting change but accept a switch flick ,,a good ignition on 16 to 18 degrees static with appropriate jetting can work very well too.
feel free to use this link to contact me on facebook and like it(if u like it)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Taylor-T ... 8819767924
dirtyhandslopez

It'll run great on points, timed to 19 thou ;)
That's not going anywhere...
olliewtf

coaster wrote:
olliewtf wrote:
coaster wrote:

I'd still like a grown up to confirm one way or another but there is nothing in the website or Scooterlab that suggests it will advance beyond the static setting :? My head is hurting now, I'm going to bed ;)
uh oh! 'does not require pre-advancing of the stator plate (unlike many plug-in solutions)' - im sure if ive had it set up wrong the scooter would barely pull. we're then talking 10 degrees at tickover, 16 before 4k, then back to probably below 10 degrees.

Im starting to understand what you sad about it not being able to predict the timing to then advance it - just accept its all magic.
coaster

I'm happy to accept that my suspicions are unfounded, just because I don't understand how it can work doesn't necessarily mean that it won't lol. I do know that a standard electronic ignition works by storing the charge made by the LT coil during the full revolution of the flywheel in a big capacitor inside the CDI. The pick up is triggered by the gap in the flywheel magnets and causes the capacitor to discharge via the HT coil inside the CDI. My 'understanding' of the workings of variable ignitions is that the triggering process is delayed by electronic means. Perhaps the Readspeed delays for more than 360 degrees to achieve the advance??? or maybe it is just black magic lol
hendy
Main scooter: lambretta li 125

coaster wrote:I'm happy to accept that my suspicions are unfounded, just because I don't understand how it can work doesn't necessarily mean that it won't lol. I do know that a standard electronic ignition works by storing the charge made by the LT coil during the full revolution of the flywheel in a big capacitor inside the CDI. The pick up is triggered by the gap in the flywheel magnets and causes the capacitor to discharge via the HT coil inside the CDI. My 'understanding' of the workings of variable ignitions is that the triggering process is delayed by electronic means. Perhaps the Readspeed delays for more than 360 degrees to achieve the advance??? or maybe it is just black magic lol
Coaster, you're right in principle. The system will not trigger a spark before the pick up is triggered by the magnets. The spark is delayed by the ignition system, but the delay is reduced at lower revs less than it is at higher revs.
eden
Dealer

It is possible to have a system that will advance from a more retarded static setting. I know the kheper guy is working in it and is looking at making the is an option for kheper 3 owners via a software update.
It involves the system missing one spark and using that missed spark for the next spark.
As coaster said it's not possible to make something happen before it has but it's possible to hold on to the spark till the next firing point.
In a way its actually retarding the ignition long enough to use the spark on an advanced position on the next revolution so it's not doing what a time lord could and if was a 2 stroke rider probably would ;)

I've had a hard day at work so if what I've said makes no sense I'll opologise now lol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information