R1/R6 shocker?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
satans reject
Main scooter: lambretta gp

Afternoon folk,

I am looking at buying a R1/R6 rear shocker, whats the difference between the two?

Was it just a rebranding or are they differeent in size, shape etc?

thanks

scott
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

I recently looked into it mate. To many ifs and buts, not worth the hastle, you need special bushes or it won't fit, you can only do the nuts up finger tight or it will snap, you need a different spring,

There is one on eBay at the moment for a Lambretta but the gas reservoir runs across ways as opposed to going vertical so that won't fit, best get a Pro-Tech mate.
Boreham
Main scooter: GP225

satans reject wrote:Afternoon folk,

I am looking at buying a R1/R6 rear shocker, whats the difference between the two?

Was it just a rebranding or are they differeent in size, shape etc?

thanks

scott
Hi Scott, the R6 is slightly shorter at 295mm, ideal if you need more frame clearance on a reed motor, only go for the early type where the cylinder runs vertical to the body.
As the previous reply you need the bushes to fit a Lambretta (go for the nylon type) plus a softer spring as the Yamaha is extremely heavy compared to a scooter!
It is very simple change and if you speak to Lee 'Chiggy' Chambers he supplies all the bits (his website is lambretta upgrades)

They are very good and do improve the stability.
Cheers
Martyn
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Scooterdude wrote:I recently looked into it mate. To many ifs and buts, not worth the hastle, you need special bushes or it won't fit, you can only do the nuts up finger tight or it will snap, you need a different spring,
yes, you need bushes to fit the Lambtretta. Only use the nylon bushes. You also need slim nyloc nuts. You can tighten them up tight, but you don't need to. If you tighten them up on nylon bushes; the shock won't break. This was only a problem with bronze bushes.

All R1 shocks have a reservoir that runs in line with the shock. Most R6 shocks have the reservoir running perpendicular to the body of the shock.
Martin
satans reject
Main scooter: lambretta gp

thanks for the advice so far gents,

next question....(sorry!).....

how would you know if the shocker has had the correct spring fitted (for a lambretta...)

ive had a look over the one ive recived and theres no obvious markings saying what pound spring is fitted, even though the guy says its the 'right' one :?

thanks again

scott
nellyboyo
Main scooter: Lambretta

Ive got one on my S2 and fitted the spring myself so I know its right. Its set on its lowest I think .
I suppose it`ll be unrideable and rock hard with the R1 spring on. You may do damage to your mounts and your arse if you go mental with it
Fruitjuice

Small issue to look out for with these R1/6 shocks that I noticed:

The 180-200lbs 'Demon Tweaks' replacement springs are a little wider in inner diameter than the original Yamahe spring on the shock, so there is some play between the spring and the upper & bottom spacers where the spring rests. This allowed the spring to rub on my plastic GP rear mudguard and eventually made it crack.
Late Spanish Servetta Lynx/Lince casings and frames have longer shock mounting studs and on these you don't have the issue with the nuts not having eanough thread to be fully tightened.
Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, loudly proclaiming: "WOW, WHAT A RIDE"
Boreham
Main scooter: GP225

http://www.lambrettaupgrades.co.uk/apps ... e/products

Stocks the correct springs (i use 180lb) plus all the bushes etc......
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information