230 Suzuki conversion

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Anyone running a 230 Suzuki conversion using the bored out iron barrel? Just looking at taking the plunge but wanting feedback/opinions before going for it cheers.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Which conversion? Suzuki TS250 piston + 60mm stroke crank?
Scooterdude

Yes Adam that would be the one. Also what sort of power/torque could be expected from one of these?
Adam_Winstone

Depends where it is from as the performance (by that I mean power delivery as much as I mean power output) is totally dependent on the state of tune (and quality of). It is a bit like asking, "What's the performance of a SIL 200 like?", which, as illustrated perfectly in Scootering's budget tune series, is a very open ended question. The SIL 200 might be sub 10 BHP or over 20 BHP... but it is still a SIL 200. The same goes for a Suzuki 230 conversion.

What I would say is that IMO the Suzuki 225, based on the TS250 piston is one of the finest options going! The quality of original pistons and the common Mitaka aftermarket version is fantastic and way above what Lambretta ever had to offer. I am not surprised in the slightest that the GT kits use Mitaka aftermarket pistons too. The piston and rings are quite capable of handling a fair increase in port width and RPM, whilst remaining very reliable... BUT DO NOTE that a poor tune or overly wide ports will still ruin this (or any) conversion!

I've clocked Harry Barlow offering conrod conversions that address barrel length (compression height of this piston is not standard) and 18mm gudgeon pin of the Suzuki piston. Indeed, I've actually considered putting my hand in my pocket for one!

I've been lucky enough to own 2 x Webster Suzuki 225 barrels and rode back from Euro Germany (time before last... 199?) with a pal on his Suzuki 225 iron barrel, which ran like a dream and didn't miss a beat at speed. That was a rally barrel that he had put many thousands of miles on. I've also got a home tune barrel in one of my bikes that runs the Suzuki 225 piston with a 62mm stroke crank, which put out 28 BHP on Revival's dyno, many moons ago.

IMO this is an excellent conversion piston but it will only be as good as the tuner that does the work and the combination of parts that it is set up to run with.

Adam
sean brady scooters
Dealer

hmmm..pretty good old jap piston /iron conversions in their day ,but doubt they are cost effective to do nowadays ....
Sean Brady Scooters - 01765 690 698
Adam_Winstone

^... agreed, they do reflect the nature of tuning at a time before the range of today's kits were available. That said, they can still be a good option but are only as good as the tuner that configures it. Let's face it, that is also a criticism that could be aimed at many of today's kits too (lol)!

Adam
Scooterdude

Hi Adam thanks for your reply, it is a conversion offered by Harry Barlow consisting of one of his cranks with the 18mm grudging pin, Jap bearing and Suzuki piston and with a bored out SIL barrel.

The overall cost is very attractive in comparison with some of the madero kits available, be good to hear some more comments before I drop a load of cash on it though.
Adam_Winstone

^... Harry would be pretty much top of my list for this conversion.
scootermad
Main scooter: series 2 ts1

on a suzuki rm250 piston kit does anyone know if the later piston with the 2 holes can be used
will it run hot/ cold or the same
thanks
Grumpy225
Main scooter: Gori200, rt195, ld150,rb20

scootermad wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 4:11 pm on a suzuki rm250 piston kit does anyone know if the later piston with the 2 holes can be used
will it run hot/ cold or the same
thanks
Do you mean a piston with window ports?

You need the correct type of piston for the type of intake, piston ported vs reed block.

As far as running hot/cold, that's a completely different topic. It has much more to do with timing and jetting rather than they type of piston.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information