Jockeys headlamp

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

Can you use a 60/55 watt bulb in a Jockeys headlight conversion without melting the lens, please?
ArKaTxU
Dealer
Main scooter: TV175 64-Jet200 68-Jet200 82

Yes, no problem.
Train Driver

I HAVE A RING XENON GAS ULTIMA H4 HEADLAMP BULB SITTING AROUND,
IT'S 12V-60/55W WOULD THAT FIT MY HEADLAMP OK
TS1 and PX stay in the garage (future barn finds) out on the GTS 300 when I go out on a scooter.
I know I’ll get there and back
coaster

Train Driver wrote:I HAVE A RING XENON GAS ULTIMA H4 HEADLAMP BULB SITTING AROUND,
IT'S 12V-60/55W WOULD THAT FIT MY HEADLAMP OK
It will fit but you will need to replace the rear lamp with an LED or there won't be enough wattage to power the headlamp.
Tractorman
Main scooter: Lambretta li150 special

ArKaTxU wrote:Yes, no problem.
Thank you, the attachments looked interesting but I could not find the translation button.
warts
Main scooter: honda

http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3 ... _p_83.html

Claims to be twice as bright as a 60/55w halogen. Has a fan to suck heat away. Designed for night racing on dirt bikes, so should have a degree of ruggedness.
Works DC - requires a rectifier, which they sell, for AC. Current draw = 20w dip, 40w main.
Not cheap at £66(including $20 rectifier), but a lot less than the new Phillips.
coaster

Those LEDs get seriously hot which is why most have the mini fan and radial fins, I would be concerned at the lack of through flowing air in a compact Lambretta headset. HID kits can be had for £10 or less on ebay (mine was around £5.00) and you get a better spread of light, the LED lamps have a 'squared flat' top to the beam. I saw a good video on You Tube put together by an American couple where they did back to back testing of halogen v HID v LED all in the same vehicle and on the same location. HID was best followed by the LED and the halogen was last.
warts
Main scooter: honda

Led technology is still developing at an incredible rate. Almost anything on a utube will be out of date pretty soon - you have a date for your example? Some of the ones I have see are laughable in there crass stupidity and ignorance.

If a device is rated at 20w, that means it is can dissipate 20 watts. LED's convert a lot more of that electricity into light, so less energy gets wasted and turned into heat, more light out for less initial input.
The fan is because the actual LED is very heat sensitive. Dealing with the heat was the big stumbling block for quite a while. Reliability has become no more of an issue than most stuff you buy.
There are utube videos of people measuring the temperature of the "lens" - the front of the light unit, and of the ones I have seen, it is always lower for the LED than Halogen.
An incandesant bulb turns 90% of the energy into heat - how is the 54w (90% of 60watts) as heat dissipated within a Lambretta head set when using a 60w halogen, compared to the much smaller thermal % of a 20w/40w LED?
The only thermal emission numbers I could find quickly are 3.5btu's for a led and 84btu's for an incandesant bulb, for the same light output.
I am yet to see an air tight Lambretta headset. The usual complaint is quite the opposite...

The HID solution can be great. I bought a £25 set for the low beam on the car 5 years ago - still night and bloody day. I would never go back willingly.
The problem is HID's produce their light from an arc, a point source. Halogen lamp filaments are a strip and the focus of H4 reflectors is engineered to deal with this. A HID in an H4 reflector will always be out of focus. Which is why any factory fit HID will also have projector type lamps - designed to control the light output into a useful road going beam.
Any and all of the various types of H4 adaptations of HID cannot 100% overcome this, the halogen having two separate filaments, but for the user the overwhelmingly superior output is an improvement.
If the head lamp alignment is not spot on however it could result in lots of irritated drivers giving them the flash.

Obviously cost is still a bit of a hurdle now, but some like to see/be seen and still charge their phone and/or satnav.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information