Brake Shoes Small Alloy Bits

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Lamaddict

I normally try and reuse original shoes but needed some new ones. What are those little alloy bits that come with the new shoes?
10 inch Terror
Xbox live gamer tag: No.
Playstation gamer tag: PLEASE!
Main scooter: Lambretta LI Imola 185

I think they are to help with adjustment. On a recent build I did the hub wouldn't fit over the shoes with them fitted. I just left them off and it's been fine. If your hub goes on with them fitted, then leave them on, if they don't, bin them.
paul213

are they the 2 bits that go over the end of the alloy part of the shoe next to the cam .if they are they are normally zinc plated steel to stop the cam wearing into the alloy they should be fitted .
gaz_powell

I've just fitted new makino shoes to my gp at the weekend and the hub wouldn't fit on with the plates. The ones been replaced didn't have them on either.
fairspares
Main scooter: Lambretta GP RB252

Li / sx shoes have the cam/shoe heel steel plate cast into the shoes , gp ones are loose , some indian gp casings have the brake pin holes drilled approx 1mm out of were they should be so by not using the heel plate will allow the hub to go on , you will find the shoes wear down and need replacing well before there is any issue with the shoe wearing on the cam.
Fairspares Lambretta workshop.
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

One to watch.... !

I recently fitted some recommended Indian aftermarket shoes and noted that fitting these bright'work clips meant that they were very tight in the space available at the front brake cam. I found some old Italian ones and changed them out, which allowed them to fit easily.

I wouldn't think anything more about this, however, within the last few weeks a clubmate's Series II locked up on him and threw him off... more or less over the bars! We suspected that it was the all too common weak early backplate shearing issue, however, that was all intact. Once he was out of hospital (3 broken ribs) he stripped the locked front hub out and found that the top locating plate of the cam (like a big flat washer) had come free and caught in the hub, locking it solid!!!

None of us in our club have ever seen this failure before and we were all a bit shocked.

NOW... thinking back to my recent experience of finding the shoes to be too big to fit in the cam's recess (my hub NOT this one that has failed), I wonder if others have fitted similar 'tight' shoes/clips and put a side loading onto the retaining top washer on the cam, causing it to the pushed off over time, especially under braking loads? This top plate is an interference fit and it may have been pushed off!

I'll see if I can find the photo that my pal posted.

Adam
gaz_powell

I'd done about 7k on the shoes I took off and there was nothing untoward on the shoes where the cam pushes them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information