holding flywheel for machining

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
tavspeed

any tips on holding a lambretta flywheel for machining,i did have an old gp crank,which i was thinking of splitting and using the flywheel side as a mount in the lathe chuck,but i now cant find it,
other way is to grip the chuck from the inside on the magnets,don't know if it would run true or damage the magnets,the chuck i have the jaws would just grip on the ali fan,so at the moment my only choice is gripping by the magnets,any thoughts,cheers
Morgan
Main scooter: T5 Vespa Mk1

If you have a lathe, or access to one, i'd machine a taper on a steel rod with a threaded end. The larger the diameter of the rod will help with stability.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

Morgan wrote:If you have a lathe, or access to one, i'd machine a taper on a steel rod with a threaded end. The larger the diameter of the rod will help with stability.
with a rolling centre will make it steady
C’est la vie
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

I split a crank and cut-off much of the web before machining down the remains of the web until it was round, and the mounted it is the lathe with a rolling centre.

What I learnt was both the web and the flywheel were tough old steel which required quite a bit of slow machining. I still haven't finished the machining of the flywheel.
Martin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information