Fork stem

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
lee76
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar

Fitting GP forks, leg shields etc to a series 3 non chrome ring Li frame. Where is the best place to cut the frame stem? was going to cut 20 odd mm out of the middle then fit an internal sleeve and weld.
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Knock out the top bearing race and look inside the top of the tube. You will find that this was machined to take the race before the tube was welded to the rest of the frame.

If you just cut 20-odd mm off the top of the steering tube, you will cut off this recess for the race, and the race won't fit any more. Oops.

There are a couple of ways around this:

1. Cut the tube lower down and remove a 20-odd mm section and weld it back together again (some risk of not getting it back on straight)
2. Cut the tube at the top, and use a chrome ring bearing race (smaller OD) and machine-up a spacer to take-up the difference between the tube ID and the bearing race OD.

I am planning this conversion too, and I will be taking option 2, as this worked for me previously.

I hope this is helpful
Martin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information