Stuck Rings

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Mag
Main scooter: Carbon GP TS1

Went to Tan Hill on Saturday, short ride about 80 miles. Scooter was running great and as I was riding alone got to give it a good blast. Parked up out side the pub, but when I went to start it back up half an hour later in had no compression, barely tried to fire then gave up the ghost.

The whole top end was rebuilt with new piston, all bearings and seals and new reeds around 1000 miles ago. Had no suggestion of any issues and I remember thinking how well it was running.

When I took the top end off the top ring was fully stuck in the piston and the bottom ring stuck in half way round. There does not seem to be damage to the piston causing it to nip the rings.

Before the trip I started using Exol fully synth. don't know if that is the issue, just putting it out there to see if anyone has experienced similar.

rainbowrunner
Main scooter: Series 2, RT 195

prob the oil, mates just gone through the same problem, he put cassy R in the tank, went to kelso , trying to start up come home no compression, rings glued in, since changed oil to tried and tested fully synth rock oil, he,s just back from the euro rally in germany with no probs at all
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I have used Exol super semi-synth for years without a problem and I know of lots of scooter riders who use Exol fully synth without any problems.
Muppet
Main scooter: SX 150 running in

not caused by heat and lack of oil?
C’est la vie
Morgan
Main scooter: T5 Vespa Mk1

Too much oil ? The fully synthetic is designed to cling to the barrel walls, too much of a high percentage and you'll gunk your rings up :?

can also happen if not giving it enough rev's :D

Quite a few Lambrettas are now running as low as 2% with no adverse affects.
Mag
Main scooter: Carbon GP TS1

Morgan wrote:Too much oil ? The fully synthetic is designed to cling to the barrel walls, too much of a high percentage and you'll gunk your rings up :?

can also happen if not giving it enough rev's :D

Quite a few Lambrettas are now running as low as 2% with no adverse affects.
Been running this scooter for over a decade on 3% mix and never gunked the rings. Its an MB tuned TS with a Franspeed Race exhaust, you can only rev it.
holty
Main scooter: lambretta gp

i use exoll fully synthetic in my rb from new and never had any problems, i also use it in my 350 lammy as well, i have heard it said in the past that you shouldnt change from one oil to another, maybee thats the cause of the problem.
ArmandTanzarian

Had exactly the same problem with exol. No idea whether it was the oil or running too rich or too high a concentration of oil or all of the above.

They were nigh on impossible to get out too.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information