Wonky engine??

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
monkey boy

Hi guys.
Just taking a closer look at the way my motor is fitted into my frame(early Indian GP)and its apparent that the rear wheel is sat about probably 20mm off centre to the left looking at it from the rear.
So the whole motor is sat too far in if you like.
So I've loosened off the nuts on the rear shock and the main pivot bolt to see if there is enough movement to reposition it...there isn't!
The engine mounts don't look as though they are too bad...not collapsed
So I'm thinking that the engine mounting tube has been welded on pissed.
My question is could I use offset cones offset from each other to bring it back to something like true or is it a chop the mounting tube off and realign it job.
Cheers Al
Morgan
Main scooter: T5 Vespa Mk1

More likely your frame loop is not straight......
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

or a bent frame between the engine mounts and the rear end?

Something isn't right but I would think using off set cones to correct would be dodgy.

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
monkey boy

Have to say the frame doesn't look too bad.
I'm convinced that the engine mount tube is welded on pissed up.
Anyone got any ideas on how to quantify it?
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

It should be easy to check if the frame tube is welded wrong.Remove engine,leave frame cones in situ,insert the engine bar and if the bar sits at 90 degrees to the frame it will be ok.
garry inglis
Main scooter: ts1 230 and rb200

remove side panell rubber mark a point on each side with pencil and measure to each mount and see if there is a big differance usually mounts fit in straight line so should give an idea if bolt tube is out
warts
Main scooter: honda

A straight edge along side the wheels to see if they are in line would be the first thing I would check before dismantling anything. As the tyres and wheels are presumably the same both ends, a bit of taut string will do. There is likely to be a brazzillion utubes on how to do this if you need guidance.
If the wheels are in line then the other bits like the loop are wrong.
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

What does it ride like? If the frame is as knackered as you suggest, then I would think that it would be unrideable. Does it go round right handers better than left handers (or vice versa)?

This will give you a big clue at to whether the important part of the frame is bent, or just the add-one.
Martin
monkey boy

Cheers for the help so far guys.
Rides just fine,not used it in a few years and just giving it a look over,with a view to putting it back on the road.
sydduckett

monkey boy wrote:Cheers for the help so far guys.
Rides just fine,not used it in a few years and just giving it a look over,with a view to putting it back on the road.
I tried offset cone to sort this out, sat nicely in middle of frame loop, crabbed like a mother. Had to go back to standard cones. I came to the conclusion that the frame loop was off centre. I came to this after having the frame checked on
CCS jig in Norwich
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information