Interesting

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Speed Demon
Dealer

EddieStone wrote:39hp from 198cc! Mamma mia.

I've always been puzzled why road users have to run their engines in after a rebuild, but racers just go and race full beans with no running in.
They do that partly because they have no choice - there's no time or location to run-in off the road and the difference in results with Nicasil would be marginal.

Cast iron is a different matter - Webbos book explained the racer's running-in process for that (basically hone off the seize marks).
Get to SULK
Ken Tucky

Years ago, using cast iron, my pet reborer, Roy Pidcock, who is now very big m/c dealer, looked at the barrel, looked at me, looked at the barrel (ports) again and asked me...
How long are you going to run it in for?
I replied 1/4 mile!
Mr Tucky
Lamaddict

Seems like the long conrods are key to some better performance on those small blocks. Not mentioned but the RB20 also runs a longer rod. I also seem to remember Ralph Saxleby expressing simlar views about longer rods.

Keen to know how the rings can last longer, certainly on the SS200 road/ race engines, rather than the race engines. I guess the rings will take all the wear when used on a chrome cylinder etc.
Lamaddict

Anymore comments on these small block race winners, use OTR, smaller displacement and long rods etc. My mate has just bought a complete SS200 engine, including a 5 speed box in it. Sounds sweet and I'm hoping for a little blast on it PM if he lets me.

I also heard of a top tuner telling someone to drop the idea of getting a RB250 and get a RB20 as 'you can do more with them'.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Speed Demon wrote: Cast iron is a different matter - Webbos book explained the racer's running-in process for that (basically hone off the seize marks).
I'm surprised that "Walkerising" as Webbo explained it, isn't the norm with cast iron, it's a pretty simple process and you'd imagine it would cut down the running period substantially.
Lambretta Sash
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta TV 230

Amy good engine builder will push an engine to it's limit, what would they be at 14 k ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information