probably another schoolboy error - no spark

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Snails

I've built a new engine for my GP but to save cash Ive swapped the indian electronic ignition from my old engine to the new one and its now got no spark at the plug. Other than being a different engine everything is the same - in how its been connected to CDI and Regulator etc so baring a very untimely component failure between it being moved from one casing to another I think I must have done something wrong but I cant for the life of me imagine what! All there's to do is attach the stator to casing. Work out the timing marks etc and position it, Fit flywheel and then connect to CDI and Reg...or have I missed something
Adam_Winstone
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Key ON?

Watch out for the Indian stator colours being plugged in the wrong way for the CDI.

Italian / Indian:

White = White
Green = Green
Red = Yellow
Yellow = Brown

People very regularly swap these last 2 over (forgivable) and find that they have no spark.
wack 63
Main scooter: '71 GP TS1

Trapped the stator wires or rubbed throught by the flywheel?
coaster

wack 63 wrote:Trapped the stator wires or rubbed throught by the flywheel?
+1
Snails

Adam_Winstone wrote:Key ON?

Watch out for the Indian stator colours being plugged in the wrong way for the CDI.

Italian / Indian:

White = White
Green = Green
Red = Yellow
Yellow = Brown

People very regularly swap these last 2 over (forgivable) and find that they have no spark.

Hmm my yellow and brown go to the regulator but that's how it was before - I took photos before I took it apart. I have two greens red and white to cdi
Snails

wack 63 wrote:Trapped the stator wires or rubbed throught by the flywheel?
Taken fly wheel off. All the wires are behind the retaining clip
GTFOMWSC
Main scooter: GP230 Super Monza CS Tuned

Have you checked theres a spark from the stator wires against the frame to see if you have power from the stator? Other one to look at is a loose or dirty connection on the cdi or regulator or even if the clip on the end of the wire is loose or not might need recrimping
the man don't give a f@@k
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

You have 2 greens going to the CDI. 1 from the stator disconnect the other one that goes into the loom. That should go off to your key switch. If it runs then meter out that end of the loom green and the frame. It should have continuity (beep) only in the off position
Monty
Main scooter: Series 1 Muggy, Imola Special

Snails wrote:
Adam_Winstone wrote:Key ON?

Italian / Indian:

White = White
Green = Green
Red = Yellow
Yellow = Brown

Hmm my yellow and brown go to the regulator but that's how it was before - I took photos before I took it apart. I have two greens red and white to cdi
Snails the yellow and brown to the regulator should only have 1 from the stator and generally the brown out to the loom. Basically power in and out. Just in case they are both from the CDI. At the end of the day you only need the red white and green to the CDI to run
Snails

Monty wrote: Snails the yellow and brown to the regulator should only have 1 from the stator and generally the brown out to the loom. Basically power in and out. Just in case they are both from the CDI. At the end of the day you only need the red white and green to the CDI to run
Yup got that concept around the regulator which is for the lights :)

I don't seem to have anything from the green wire from the stator. I've tried to hold it against the frame and engine to see if it sparks and no joy. Ive also tried to hold it a little away from them in case the concept is for it to jump? Anyway neither approach works which looks alarmingly like it might be a stator issue. What would be the next check of that?

I still cant help feel its me doing something stupid but the only things I can think of are that the flywheel is not on properly, so that the magnets are not making the current - i've checked that the engine is actually turning over with the piston moving so they flywheel must be over the woodruff. The other thing is maybe something earth related? Would that cause it not work? I dont run an earth from the engine to frame, but I know people mention this (or is that just lights?) and although I never needed it before maybe this casing does?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information