Tyre choice?

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Ok so now I'm getting in to it a bit as a "scooterist" post rebuild and after fitting scawalbe white wall ditch finders I'm beginning to think maybe I should have gone for something more in keeping with modern roads and conditions, so my question is is there a perticular type/make of tyre that you guys all swear by or have I made a terrible mistake?
rosscla
Main scooter: Lambretta

Bit like oil, I think you'll be lucky to get a consensus on this.

Depends if you want a sporty looking tyre or a more traditional block pattern.

The two on my shopping list were Dunlop ScootSmart and Heidenau K57.

I went with the Dunlops on balance of advice.
"Our dilemma is that we hate change and love it at the same time; what we really want is for things to remain the same but get better."
ming

For a vintage look I've always gone with the venerable Michelin S83s. I know they're not everyone's faves and they do wear pretty quickly but I've always been satisfied.

For a more modern look I like the Heidenau K61s. Fantastic grip and surprisingly decent in the rain too. They do wear fast due to a softer compound. For rain and rougher pavement I like the Heidenau K47s. They are longer lasting than most. The Heidenaus also have fairly stiff sidewalls which helps with cornering and if you're unlucky enough to have a blowout they won't collapse on you as quickly.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

I have split rims and use Michelin S1's.Lots of people dont like them,but I've used them for years without an issue.
Scooterdude

Thanks for the reply guys, would I be right in thinking a set of the above recommend tyres would improve the handling by much? I have to say the overall handling of the scoot ain't great, I'm hoping this could just be down to the classic block pattern schwables I have. Btw, I'm running 20 psi in the front and 30psi in the back.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

Don't get S1's. They are hard wearing tyres, but buggers for finding every single track in the road. Not exactly the sort of tyre to build your confidence up. Continental are always good and Dunlop Scootsmarts have had good reports.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

If your new to scootering,especially if the only two wheeled vehicle you've ridden is a motorcycle,it will feel vey strange and "squirrely" until you get used to it.
Scooterdude

HxPaul wrote:If your new to scootering,especially if the only two wheeled vehicle you've ridden is a motorcycle,it will feel vey strange and "squirrely" until you get used to it.
yes ridden all sorts, from moto cross bikes to sports bikes, but never a scooter up until now.
I have to say it feels damn right dangerous, it's like when I'm going in a streight line it weaves from side to side constantly, and God help me when I cross a white line! It's like as if it's top heavy and wants to fall over to the side, both sides all the while, is this normal?? How can I improve the handling? I see one guy selling modified R1 rear shocks, would one of those improve things?
ArmandTanzarian

An old scooter will be a lot less stable than a modern bike but it shouldn't feel that bad. If it's constantly weaving then something is amiss.
Meus Lambretta est non infractus. Is est quietus.
Meds
Main scooter: Li125s

Get the front wheel off the ground and check to see if the wheel is running true then do the same with the back wheel.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information