Dellortos carbs

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
Scooterdude
Main scooter: Lambretta LI 125 S3

Just weighing up my options regards replacing my SH1/18 carb on my 175 stage 4 iron barrel with Scootopia clubman, will probably go the Scootopia 22mm remade route but looking at the other Dellortos that are available PHBH & PHBL what's the difference between the two? and is one better than the other? And what size would suit the 175 best? Cheers.
cgt75b
Main scooter: lambretta

Hi, this just my personal oplnion, I think the 25mm Phbl would be ideal for your set up. Other people may disagree, but there you go.

The differences are the needles and atomisers which aren't cheap!

The very best of luck with it.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

Id simply go for a 22mm jetex personally.
Donnie.
Doom Patrol
Main scooter: Jet 200
Location: Second star on the right and straight on till morning

You've probably got a greater range of carbs and settings on new Dell'orto's. Which could be a good or bad thing, depending on which way you look at it. The Scootopia and Jetex carbs are old hat, but are dead easy to set up and maintain. Pretty much bullet proof really.
Knowledge
Dealer
Main scooter: GP

Scooterdude wrote:...looking at the other Dellortos that are available PHBH & PHBL what's the difference between the two?
The PHBL and PHBH have different sized bodies.

The PHBL goes from about 22mm to 25mm bore, where are the PHBL goes from 26mm to 30mm. Within each range, the carb shares common components, like atomisers, jets, slides, slide tops, springs, banjos, but few parts are fully interchangeable between the two types of carb, other then main and idle jets.

Moving to carburettor, I will disagree with Donnie and suggest that you seriously consider the Scootopia 22mm carb (you will need a new manifold too. 125/150 stud spacing). I say this because Jetex carbs either work fine, or not at all, so quality is an issue. I have only heard good things about Scootopia's re-made version. Also, the recent article in Scootering, which detailed tests carried out by Darryl Taylor on a standard engine where he saw no improvement in performance using a 26mm PHBL carb over a 22mm SH2 carb . I would think that unless your barrel has had extensive porting and an expansion chamber, you can consider your engine to be fairly standard and a 22mm SH2 copy would be a value for money solution.
Martin
Scooterdude

Wow! Cheers for the comments guys, appreciate it, yes heard good things about the Scootopia carb just thought the PHBL may have given me some extra performance, looks like it's the Scootopia then.
Scooterdude

Ok just looked at the Scootopia ones again, says they come with a 200 slide and a 150 slide...what should I use on the 175?
Doom Patrol

200, I think.
Donnie
Main scooter: Lambretta Eibar Series 2

Definitely a 200 slide needed.

As for the jetex vs scootopia, well I know many have had poor experience of the jetex, I never have I have to say as I know what im doing with them and a jetex is only about £30 vs £85 for the scootopia one which I do know of one person that had problems with his where he soft seized with it. This is someone that's built many, jets, does many rallies and euros so not one of my regular club mates that thinks a carb out of the box has the right jetting :shock: :shock: So nothing is for sure.
Donnie.
Doom Patrol

I run a Scootopia carb and it goes well. The only thing I will say is that I found the clamp didn't tighten enough on the manifold and I ended up swapping it for the later type, which solved the problem.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information