Rear brake adjustment.

Anything related to Lambrettas... ask tech questions, post helpful info, or just read and learn.
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

Although this may appear to be a bit of a "newbie" type question, I still have problems adjusting the rear brake on a Lambretta after a lifetime of Lambretta ownership!!

Any tips or hints gratefully received.

This is what I do when I find that the rear brake pedal goes further "south" than is safe due to wear in the linings.

1) Back off the rear adjusting nut until theres about 1/4 inch of the threaded rod showing
2) use a large Jubilee clip to hold the rear cam "on"
3) undo the 17mm nuts under the brake pedal
4) attempt to pull the inner cable forward using mole grips
5) tighten the 17mm nuts
6) remove jubilee clip
7) adjust the rear adjusting nut so the wheel spins freely.

Now despite all that b@11@x, I still tend to end up with the same play on the pedal and the same amount of thread showing on the rear adjuster!!

Is it the design of the connector on the bottom of the brake pedal that doesn't help, or have I not spotted the bleedin' obvious over the last 48 years??

Help!

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

This is how I do it.Unfasten knurled nut or nyloc nut,take circlip off rear brake lever,remove lever and rotate anti-clockwise one spline,replace lever and circlip.At pedal end(under legshields) unfasten 17mm nut until cable is free,at the back replace the cable on the lever and adjust the knurled nut until there is about two or three threads showing and tighten the 17mm nut,adjust until you have a good brake.

By the way,I use a tie-wrap,not a jubilee clip,fastened around the brake lever and rear shocker mount to tension the brake.
dirtyhandslopez

Sounds like the outer is flexing in one way or another.
That's not going anywhere...
HxPaul
Main scooter: lambretta Li 150

Did you suss this out Chris.
If you are trying to adjust the back brake and you are using the original adjuster which clamps the cable,the brakes may have worn so much that the adjuster is being stopped by the hole in the casing,in that case the only way to get a brake is by either by fitting new shoes,or if there is plenty of material left on the shoes,by taking off the circlip and removing the lever and fitting on a new spline as I have already suggested.

Paul
bristolmod
Main scooter: Lambretta TV175 S3- what else!
Location: Bali-Hai bar, Locarno Ballroom Bristol, 1967!- mines a Brown Split!!

Sorry Paul- my bad for not coming back to you. I've managed to adjust them so they are much better now without moving the arm around on the splined cam. I think its one of those cases that the design of the system at the front isn't brilliant and a small 'mismatch" can cause problems.

I can now lock up the rear, but will try your method when the shoes wear more.

Thanks and apologies

Chris
Scootering since 1968.
corrado
Dealer
Main scooter: Lambretta GP

Main tip is to bin the cable clamp affair at the rear and use a straight through cable.
DigDug
Main scooter: Lambretta

+1
Did you have to do that?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic
  • Information